Friday, November 12, 2010

The Nearest Thing to Heaven is a Child

Our church has different auxilaries for each of us. One of the organizations/auxilaries is the Primary. It is for children ages 18 months to 12 years.  The children learn songs, read scriptures, do activities, give talks, pray, and share stories.  Most importantly, they gain an understanding of our Savior and learn to be like Him.  I have the priviledge of being the song leader, and get to spend 40 minutes each Sunday teaching the children Primary songs. I LOVE this calling.  Last night we had a leadership meeting, where we were trained and taught to work more effectively with the kids. There were about 40 ladies there, and the 4 leaders who taught us so well made each of us one of these:

I just love gentle, kind-hearted people.  This will now be my Sunday-take-to-church-bag.   Each year we have a theme that we focus on with the children. The theme for 2011 will be "I Know the Scriptures are True."

They also made us each a bookmark. I love the thought on it.

This is the guideline we will follow.  It gives teaching and song ideas.  I love the focus that our church places on the children. "The nearest thing to Heaven is a Child."  I hope to spend more time in the scriptures as I focus on being a better example to children---my own and others.

Attitude of Gratitude:
Glasses or contacs
Humming to Christmas music(yes, already)
Laughter
Be Nice to People,
Julie

6 comments:

Kerin said...

Wow! It looks like you have a dynamic ward!!
I am certain that you are the best song leader ever, and that the primary kids adore you!!
You certainly exemplify your calling and increase the spirit in Primary.
Hope you have a great weekend.
And thank you of your generous offer to help me with the runners. I just might take you up on that one of these days :)

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What a wonderful calling to have Julie! I loved the gals that taught our children to sing joyfully at our old church and I have no doubt that parents feel the same way about you!

What wonderful gifts those 4 gals left you all with. They sound like treasures as well!

Have a great weekend!

Sheila said...

How blessed these children are to have such a wonderful lady leading them in song! What a wonderful calling and group of ladies to have given such a beautiful handmade gift.
Blessings to you Julie.
Hugz,
Sheila

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I can just see you in that role, Julie! That is a wonderful calling and I think it takes a special person to minister to children!

Hugs and Blessings,
Tammy

Jo-Anne said...

I have had that calling several times and have just loved it. There is nothing better than hearing those special little voices sing.
I am always so grateful for the opportunities I have had to serve in the primary program. Each time I do I am reminded of how simple the gosple is and how much love our Savior loves us. :)

Heather said...

I haven't had a primary calling since I was in my twentys. I'd love to play the piano for them.
I need to make me a duplicate of the book mark . . for a constant reminder-- of why we are instructed to do things.