Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thoughts for Thursday

Thought for the day..."If life gives you scraps, make quilts." My quilty friends and I had a great time yesterday on our little excursion. We actually hit 4 quilt shops, found some great ideas...and deals.(WOW!! Those words use pretty close to the same letters-hmmmmm). So much fun!! We ate lunch in an old trolley car and even found a candy store to have a piece of fudge. Speaking of candy...here's some eye candy. These quilts(and many more) are on display at a museum in Springville, Utah. They were amazing!! Each quilt had a write-up posted next to it. Some quilts had taken 4-5 years to make---but they did finish!! Good lesson in that. We can finish...no matter how long it takes. Enjoy!!
This is a Mary Jane quilt. The blocks are about 3 inches big. The detail is exceptional. This quilt was actually made by some ladies in my quilt group.
My friends and I LOVED this quilt. We are going to do a trade and make it!! We talked about it the whole trip and even searched for just the right fabric for it. The blocks are churn dash. It is simple, but so cute!!
Look at the detail. All those flowers and leaves are needle-turn... that equals lots and lots and lots of hours!!!
Spectacular!!! What else can I say?? It looks more like a painting.
This was a brighter pink. (Naughty camera) I liked it a lot. I especially like the flowers laying horizontal instead of vertical--just different.
Cute idea we saw at a quilt shop. Pieces of wood, batting behind the fabric and a flower. What a neat idea for a girl's bedroom.
CHOCOLATE!!! Some for everyday!! This was made by some ladies in my quilt group.
This is a close-up of a quilt that had over 12,000 pieces. It was made for a boy named Devin. He loved to watch his Mom work on it. He passed away while it was being made. In the write-up the Mom said the 12,000+ pieces represented the tears that had been shed for Devin. She had named the quilt "Devin's Tears". He didn't ever see the quilt. Yup, "If life hands you scraps, make quilts."
Be Nice to People,
Julie







12 comments:

rachel griffith said...

thanks for the eye candy.

devin's tears really touched my heart.

thanks for sharing.
and i can't wait to see how yall's churn dash swap goes.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

What beautiful quilts!

The last one brought tears to my eyes! That's so sad! But then quilts have a sentimental value to me anyway!

It sounds like you ladies had a great time!

Tammy

Shay said...

Julie~
What wonderful quilts! It looks like you had such a great time! I loved Devin's tears, such a touching story! What a wonderful gift she gave to her son & a great message to others. I adore the Mary Jane quilt, just beautiful! There are so many I just love from your pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for stopping by & wishing us all well! The boys had EEG's & CAT scans. My littlest has been having seizures and so my oldest had to have the treatment too! Long day that was! Thanks again!
Blessings to you and yours~
Shay

Something Nice and Pretty said...

What a beautiful quilt... Devin's Tears it brought tears to my eys!
All the quilts are gorgeous and I especially love the one you are all going to make I think it was churn something?
So glad you had a good time:)
*Rondell*

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

What gorgeous quilts, Julie! I'm so glad you had such an enjoyable and memorable outing yesterday...

Have a wonderful afternoon, my friend...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilts. Thank you for sharing! And Devin's Tears... makes you think doesn't it?

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I was drooling! Sounds like a really fun day - so glad you got to have that special time!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Hi Julie! So glad you had a great time with your friends. And thanks for bringing us along for the eye candy! Boy wouldn't some of those look nice in my home. :)

The last quilt brought tears to my eyes. What a touching story. I bet Devin is so proud of his mommy.

Black Sheep Lisa said...

AWESOME!! Hey Julie, thanks for stopping by my blog. I will add ya so i can come back!
Blessings

Katy said...

I love those pics!!! Beautiful quilts!

Leslie said...

Oh, my! I can see why some of those quilts took years. VERY detailed!!!

The flower thing looks like yo-yo's :) I love making them! :)

Have a great weekend!

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Those are all awesome quilts!

Mary