Friday, August 15, 2008

Show N Tell Friday

I was going through some things this week and came across two treasures that I have. My paternal grandmother was named Lillian Grace. I love that name. She was born January 24, 1901 in Star Valley, Wyoming. She died February 27, 1988 in Logan, Utah. I remember, because Feb. 27 is my birthday. She was an educated woman. She had a degree in teaching. She loved and was so dedicated to doing family history. She always had a treat for us when we visited. Unfortunately, she had health troubles. She had rheumatoid arthritis. She was ALWAYS in pain. Eventually she was in a nursing home. Her hands and fingers were bent and misshaped from the arthritis and her legs and feet were swollen because of a heart condition. She, however, never gave up. She kept her mind and body busy all the time.

While in the nursing home, she painted. I wish I had a picture of her hands. I honestly don't know how she held a paint brush. Her fingers were so bent and crooked. She gave this painting to me when I was in high school. I have it on a shelf in my girl's bedroom. Isn't it sweet?

She also learned to play the harpsichord(autoharp). Another thing that required hands. She was really good. At the nursing home where she lived, a student from the local university would come and teach her. It was a music therapy program. My grandma loved it. She loved music, too. I inherited the harpsichord(autoharp). I guess I should learn to play it, too. I have a lot of the same characteristics of my Grandma. I have a degree in elementary education, I love to learn and keep busy, I enjoy music. I now need to get the sincere desire she had to do family history. She was a great example to me. It's nice to think about those we love and be grateful for the legacy they left us. Hug your Grandma, today, if you can...
Be Nice to People,
Julie



16 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

I know just how her hands looked. My father in law had the same thing, and now I see signs of it in my husbands joints. I was always told, even through the pain, one must keep them active or they become so brittle, many spurs come along, and that is even more painful.

Her painting is fabulous.

My Show n Tell is a bit artsy - do hope you can find time to stop by. Happy weekend.

A Hint of Home said...

What a sweet story. My Mom's and aunt's hands are so bent and crooked. It is amazing what they do with them.
Her art work is precious.

Missy Wertz said...

Beautiful paintings. I know that they are priceless to you. I have an autoharp almost like that. My case is like that. My mom has it right now. She likes playing it a lot. So I let her keep it for the time being.

Carrie said...

Yes, besides these treasured mementos, your grandma left you a wonderful legacy.

nancy said...

What a great post! Yes, I can just see those hands, too. She was wise to keep learning and keep doing. I had an autoharp just like that a long time ago.
Nancy

Shay said...

What a wonderful post! My mother deals with this crippling disease everyday, through blessings, she still works her hands everyday through heirloom smocking and knitting. Such a sweet story and a testament of what our family means to us. Thank you for sharing!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hi Julie, I am so moved by that. It took my breath away and took me back to when I was a practicing RN and I only worked in nursing homes We had several ladies like with hands like that. Oh how my heart ached for them. Seems the only time they had any relief was when they were dipped in the warm paraffin wax bath.

What a wonderful person she must have been!

Barbara H. said...

What beautiful things she made and did, and what a legacy of perseverance through pain.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Precious story. You should learn to play the harpsicord. Not too many people have that talent!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Your grandmother sounds like a remarkable woman, Julie! Such an inspiration... Her legacy certainly lives on in you. NO doubt about it!

I had a dear friend back when I was teaching who was a lifelong learner and completely engrossed in the world around her as well. She was an Ed Tech until the age of 80. She was an author later in life and she learned to ride horses in her late 70s. She audited many of my Spanish classes so that she could impress the dude ranch owners when it came time to order breakfast and talk to the ranch hands. Lyla was her name and she always liked to say that she could rest "when her toes turned up." I highly doubt she's resting up in heaven. I suspect she's running circles around everyone -- all while learning anything and everything new.

How lucky to have such wonderful women grace our lives.

Have a terrific weekend, my friend...

Amanda said...

My birthday is February 24th.

Your grandmother sounds like she was an awesome person. I'm a former music major - we probably would have gotten along great. :) I bet the autoharp would be fun to play!

Wanita said...

What a wonderful post ~ a tribute to your grandmother.

A dear lady at a church we attended played the autoharp. I always enjoyed it and thought it would be fun to learn how to play one. I hope you will be able to learn to play yours.

Kathy said...

What a remarkable woman your grandmother was. She knew what the important things in life are. Lovely post...Kathy

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Your story of your grandmother brought back memories of mine. Her hands so twisted from the arthritis, but she never quit crocheting little baby booties and pot holders!

Thanks so much for sharing, and thanks for your sweet words of encouragement on my blog, too! It's so much appreciated!

Cora

Carla said...

Her name was Lillian Grace??? No way! My paternial great grandmother was Lillian Grace!!!
Lillian Grace Henderson Little,
born Indiana 1872-Oklahoma died 1949
CRAZY HUH!!!!!
(Yea for your grandma for 'doing it anyway!' What a woman!)

La Tea Dah said...

A sweet post and a beautiful painting by your grandmother.

LaTeaDah