Saturday, December 3, 2011

Gone...with the WInd

Wind. 100 mph wind. Wind that strong is a force not to be reckoned with. We have lived in our town for 19 years, and we have never experienced the force of wind that we lived through Thursday.  I will share some of the images of the day. I had them all strategically placed in order, and the computer decided to do something different. Oh well. You will get the picture.

No power= cold dog =Spoiled dog wrapped in our Christmas blanket!

Thank goodness for gas fireplaces.

We had no power for over 24 hours. Do you realize how reliant we are on electricity? We broke out the Electricity-less Mickey Mouse phone. However, we were able to use cell phones all day.

What used to be shingles ON THE ROOF!

The young women and young men in our neighborhood helping clean up. They are THE BEST!! They had no school because of the weather, so instead of sleeping in and doing homework they went around the neighborhood serving people in need. There is hope for the future with young people like them!!

These next two pictures are out of order.  Look at that tree that uprooted the porch.

CRAZY!!!!


You've got mail?

One of the local cemetaries--there were over 20 downed huge pine trees.  Look at the headstone in the roots of that tree.

WOW!! What else can you say?

Dinner---by the gas fireplace cooked with the gas camping stove. Yum--Ramen noodles and string cheese!

Piles of blankets...I think Karissa is in there somewhere.
Oh wait--that is Savanna's bed!!

Once again, the youth in our neighborhood serving.


This tree in our church's front yard is now a goner.
Too bad someone couldn't use the top for their Christmas tree!

Sad...can you see the car?

This home caught on fire from the inside and is now gutless. The lady who lives here
will hopefully get a new home out of the ordeal.


Dear candle, I love you. I will never take you for granted again. You light up my life.
Love, Julie
Our source of outside communication.... wind-up radio. We wound all day.
What I learned from this experience:
1. Electricity is much more than light and heat. It is entertainment and information. It is security and hope.
2. We need to be prepared for anything at anytime, anywhere and with anyone.
3. Safety-- a high priority.
4. Neighborhoods that have caring, kind people temper life's storms.
5. Trees that do not have deep roots will topple and fall under great force no matter how majestic and beautiful ---hmmm--I see an object lesson in that thought.
Be Nice to People,
Julie

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Whoa.... I missed out on all the action! And the tree in front of our church? Gone?! I wanted to cry when I saw that picture! That tree has so many memories with that church! And go B-20! I'm so proud. I can't believe something like this happened to our cute lil' town. Just crazy! I'm just glad you're all safe!

Appalachian Mercantile said...

Thank heavens no one was hurt! How great it is to see youth serving. What a blessing!

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

WOW! It's shocking really, to see the damage and know just how helpless we are in the face of nature. Glad you were safe. WOW!

(makes me want to cut down all the old trees that surround my home........and, add to my storage of candles, gas lamps, flashlights AND batteries, AND get some more blankets/quilts. Oh and keep the propane in my camper and on my BBQ full!)

Kimberly said...

Oh my goodness, Julie! I'm so glad you're all safe!

Karen said...

Like a hurricane!

Kerin said...

Holy Moly!
What an adventure.
I watched the news, and saw all those strong winds and saw some of the damage. How terrible.
It is amazing how much we need and use electricity each day!
(Living in the country, we lose power all the time, and so we are pretty well prepared.)
Sad about all the trees coming down too.
That is the reason that we cut down all of our really old, really tall trees. I just couldn't chance a strong wind storm knocking them down on our home.
Hope you are able to get everything in order and back to normal as soon as possible.
p.s Your dog is a cutie-pie!!