Saturday, November 6, 2010

15 Minute Table Runner

I thought I would share how to make this table runner.  It really only takes about 15 minutes to make...really :)  I made 3 in under an hour. I think they would make great Christmas gifts.  I made a few for Thanksgiving to give away.  Here are the step by step instructions:

You need 1/3 yard focus fabric.

You need 1/2 yard coordinating fabric.

Put the right sides together and stitch the edges together along the length of the fabric.(It will not lay flat at this point.)

This is the stitch along the length of the fabric.

This is what it looks like after sewing both lengths of the fabric.

Press seams to one side and turn right side out.

Press, making sure the borders of the backing fabric are even on each side.  The borders come up on top of the focus fabric to form an edge. 

This is what it looks like after you press, making sure the borders of the backing fabric are even on each side.

Fold the ends in half on the right side at each end and stitch back side together.

Turn the end to form a point.

I like to add ric-rac to mine along the edge of focus fabric and border.

Tah-dah. Simple.  Cute and not too expensive to make. I was making 3 at a time so that is why there are different fabrics of the runner.

I will just type the directions in case you want to print them without the photos:

Speedy Table Runner

1/3 yard of focus fabric
1/2 yard of coordinating fabric
Directions:

Put the right sides together and stitch the edges together along the length of the fabric. (It will not lay flat at this point.)
Press seams to one side and turn right side out.
Press, making sure the borders of the backing fabric are even on each side.  The borders come up on top of the focus fabric to form an edge.
Fold the ends in half on the right side at each end and stitch back side together.
Turn the end to form a point. 
Add ric-ric if you would like.

Since this is my 400th post( I can't believe it)--I am having a little give-away!!  It will include a runner like one of these and some other goodies. Just make a comment that you would like to be entered. I will do the drawing on November 9---next Tuesday. 

Attitude of Gratitude:
Rakes
A hot morning shower
A hug of understanding from someone who cares
Be nice to People,
Julie

14 comments:

Mrs. B said...

What a clever project! I think I have enough fabric in my stash to make a few of these for gifts. Please enter me into the contest.

Thanks,
Bonnie

Sheila said...

Very nice tutorial Julie! Love the fabric you used for your runners. Please enter me in your wonderful giveaway.
Bless you and yours~
Hugz,
Sheila

Unknown said...

The table runner turned out so nice! You have made it sound very easy and I'm hoping to try it soon.

Please enter me in the give-away.

Blessings,
Heather G.

Time to Blog It Up! said...

Please put my name in your drawing...who wouldn't want to win a prize from Julie. The table runner is so cute it might just cause someone to RUN away with it! have a great day.

Kimberly said...

Julie, that's fabulous! Your idea? I love it! And you're right... Christmas is coming!

And amen to the raking leaves and hot shower! There's a lot of BOTH of those going on around here lately!

Hugs, Kimberly

Teresa said...

Thanks for the tutorial, think I'll try to make a few. Plese enter me in your giveaway also Thanks Teresa

Anonymous said...

These are just so great!! Please enter me in your drawing! The one with the scripts loked as if it were stenciled! Thanks! These will make terrific gifts!

blessedcountrygirl@gmail.com

momtoqts said...

Hi Julie - I'm not sure how I ended up on your blog, but I was so excited to find the tutorial for the table runner! You have a beautiful family and I'll be looking forward to spending some more time getting to know your blog. God bless - Nicole S

linny said...

This looks like a great idea. Please enter me in your giveaway.
lyn.robyn.smith@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

It's so good to see some more of your sewing projects! You do a wonderful job. I would love to be entered in your giveaway!!

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Julie you make the coolest stuff!!! I just LOVE this runner. I have been thinking about making one for Christmas. Thanks again.

Mary

Heather said...

A Give-Away -- Wow!! I've only won one thing in my life, maybe I'll have more luck with quilting friends.

400 Posts -- I'm a bit behind....I'm on #3 ;-}

CLEddy said...

Love this tablerunner. Was looking for a quick one to make. Maybe I'll win this one. Thanks for the giveaway.

Farmhouse prims said...

Julie, I just made this table runner and am so tickled. I hope I did it correctly. I sewed the back sides together and turned to make a point. Now that causes double the fabric to be on the bottom, is that correct? I was trying to put it inside, and couldn't get it even. So I took it apart and looked at the tutorial again and think I did it correctly. Since it is more fabric, do you sew across the bottom edges. Thanks for this tutorial, it is great for beginner sewers like me. I really appreciate it, and hope you are doing well and do more turorials.I love my runner and candle mat from you. Thank you, prim hugs, Lecia