Sunday, January 10, 2010

My country girl heart went home

Saturday, I went "home." You know, that place that made me the country girl I am today--even if it is just in my heart. I grew up in a small ranching community in Utah. The school I attended had 2 rooms--one for K-4th graders and the other room--5th-10th graders. We had to leave home in order to finish high school.

Saturday, I attended the funeral of my 93 year old school teacher. He taught me in 5th-10th grade. The walk down memory lane was great. I had not been "home" for about 8 years.
The roads into the town are all rock and gravel. Lots of dust. Not pavement.
Not a scene I see everyday here in the city. True cowboys wear these cowboy hats. They earn their living by the sweat of the brow.
The church where the funeral was held. You can see the hearse. Notice the cattle guard that is at the entrance of the parking lot. Not something I see in the city :).
This plaque actually came from the old church that I attended. When the new one(pictured above) was built, this plaque was saved and hung in the new building.
I remember these stain-glass windows from the old church I attended in my childhood. I loved the colorful display of sunlight on the walls from them when the sun hit them just right.

I had to take a photo of the hill. I remember climbing it as a little girl. It seemed much bigger then. We would reach the top of it and then walk on to a cool rock quarry where we found all kinds of treasures--you know, spiders, rocks, berries, and plants. I loved going there and the freedom I felt as I hiked along.
This flag pole was erected by my youngest brother for his Eagle scout project. It is in the church's parking lot.
The little country store. It sells everything a person would need!! From fly paper to milk. From tissue to horse shoes!!
This is a picture of the ranch where I was raised. It has changed hands several times since my family owned it. The home I grew up in, is no longer standing. I wish it were so that I could have taken a photo.

Here is the corral and some of the out buildings. It looks quite a bit different now. But, I still recall all the fun times we had playing and working as a family here. I learned the value of hard work, integrity, finishing a job right and being commited to something from my father as I worked beside him. I helped swath hay, lay hand-lines, milk a cow, feed pigs, combine grain, feed animals, fix fence, ride horses, chase coyotes, ice skate on frozen ponds, watch as baby calves were born, feed baby calves from a bottle, and brand cattle. Days went from sun up to past sun down. There was always something to be done, fixed, or taken care of.

I wish that windmill would fit in my yard. I would love to have it. I sits in the corrals and used to help produce water from a well below it.

That green branding shoot brought a flood of memories. I remember every fall branding our cattle that had been on the range all summer. We would corral them, help send them down the corral and into the shoot. I can still smell the burnt rawhide of the cattle and the hear the bawling calves as they cried for their moms to save them from the branding iron. They also would get their ear lopped and a tag put in to identify them as ours. Our house smelled for days as we deposited branding clothes in the laundry room. My Mom had more patience than I to have dealt with that mess!! I remember my Dad making bulls into steers...and then us having rocky mountain oysters (not for the faint of heart), straight from the fire. Definetly and old cowboy thing to do. :) Ahh..the memories.
My trip "home" was great!! It is always good to remember our roots. I am so grateful that mine run strong and deep. Thanks for walking down memory lane with me. Hope your day is blessed.
Be Nice to People,
Julie

13 comments:

Becky said...

I am saddened to hear of the passing of your teacher. It sounds like he led a wonderful life. The pictures of where you grew up and where you learned about God were amazing. I wish we all could have memories like that...my mother grew up in a small farm community in southern Illinois and listening to her stories make me long for a simpler but more enriched time. I am a born and raised city girl but I would love to be able to live that type of life - what a truly blessed life! Thank you for sharing this.

Leah said...

I enjoyed your memory down "home lane"... I took special notice of some things - The windmill - I love windmills and also have a special relationship with the windwill I grew up with! And the rocky mountain oysters (ugh) -- I don't recall ever trying them but it was a specialty for some in the good old days at that time of the year! Thanks for sharing!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

I so love country living and small towns!!! where in utah is this? I love the photos and story you shared..did you eat the rocky mountain oysters...what do they taste like? have a great rest of your sunday.:>)

West Side of Straight said...

A good trip and remembering where "your story started". We
have only done the rocky mountain oysters once. After that, when we still had a lot of livestock, we just gave them away to our helper that REALLY enjoyed them! The mountain range in the background was a beautiful setting to grow up with.

Kimberly said...

Julie, what wonderful pictures! Your old stomping grounds look SO much like Pincher Creek, Alberta where my in-laws live. Even the mountains in the distance. My hubby grew up farming but on the Prairies... he's a 'flat lander'!
Thank you for sharing... I wish you'd gone home for a happier occasion!

Hugs, Kimberly

Sheila said...

Thanks for sharing a very personal time. I enjoyed it very much, though I too wish you could have had a happier reason to return.

Debbie said...

Thank you for sharing with us about where you grew up. I grew up in a small town in Southern Illinois but always wondered what it would of been like growing up in a small farm community. Guess I was born a country girl at heart too!

Take care,
Debbie

Kerin said...

Your warm memories of growing up in a small town are the same kind of memories that we want for our children. That's the reason that we moved from Utah county to a small farm community. For us, it's a dream come true.
You ARE a country girl! You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl....:)

Jo-Anne said...

I am so sorry to hear of your teachers passing. He must have been a great teacher.
Thanks for sharing with us your trip back "home". It was wonderful.
Take care-
Jo-Anne

Becky J. said...

i love that area! so beautiful and quiet and quiant.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I was so captivated with reading your story of your visit "home!" I really felt your heart. Isn't it great that we can carry all these things forever in our hearts and go to those places whenever we wish. The pictures were so wonderful and I kind of felt that I was there with you!!!!! Thanks for sharing it all! Cora

andersons said...

I LOVED that they saved that plaque and stain glass windows. They are so beautiful! What a fun post!

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh Julie. You posted things I feel. I grew up in a city in the east and I yearn to go home again almost all the time but it isn't the same. Still the memories are sweet and even some of them fresh. The home we lived in is kind of a bad part of town now and it was so nice growing up. The church has been remodeled and only the restroom is the same (oh I loved seeing that it was the same the last time I was there). Good people go to church there but not many that I know anymore. Sometimes at night I am in my bed dreaming those dreams of being a kid again. I love that.