Monday, August 10, 2009

Stroll Down Memory Lane

Good Monday Morning. Just a warning, this is a picture heavy post. I took a stroll down memory lane today. It is my 19th wedding anniversary, so I took a few photos of some of the places that have made significant, life-changing, happy memories in my life. If you have a few minutes, feel free to stroll with me.
Both Bret and I attended Utah State University in the 80's. This is the street where we met. We were in the same student ward(our church). We were BEST FRIENDS for 2 1/2 years. He would date other girls, I would date other guys. Those relationships wouldn't work out, so we would talk to each other about them and then date again--same results. Finally, one day we just decided that we should date--seriously. I have to admit that our first kiss was like kissing my brother. However, the second one WASN'T--the sparks flew, and I knew that I had met and was very in love with a one-in-a-million man!! We got engaged in April and were married in August!!This is where Bret lived while attending school.
This is where I lived---this photo alone brings a bucket-load of memories for me!! However, I am so sad to see the for sale sign above the door.
This is where, as tradition states at Utah State, that you can be made a "True Aggie." You have be kissed by someone who already is a true aggie, at midnight, standing on the "A". Bret kissed me here(hmmmmmm, not sure WHO made hima true aggie). We were JUST friends when he kissed me here, along with about 10 other girls, on the same night. We went as a group. He told me later that I was the BEST kisser out of all of them---made me laugh!!

Sorry for the blur--we were married in the Logan, Utah temple for time and eternity--
August 10, 1990. One of the happiest days of my life.
Here we are at our dinner after the wedding. We didn't have a reception, but instead had a private dinner for close friends and family. It was so beautiful. It gives me warm fuzzies to think about it now.

This is the elementary school where I taught third grade our first year of marriage. Bret was finishing his master's degree, and I brought home the bacon!! :) I have been blessed ever since to be a SAHM with our girls
We lived in the basement of this home our first year of marriage. We rented from an older lady who has passed away now. I have such fond memories of this home.

Well, here we are today---19 years later. I was telling my girls the other day to look for someone just like their father. He is selfless, has few vices, has a strong love for Heavenly Father and Jesus, loves his family unconditionally, and serves others freely and with a sincere love. He is kind to me and respects me. He works hard and RARELY, if ever, complains about ANYTHING. He has honestly never talked bad about me to others, complained about a yucky dinner I have made, or have I had to pick up after him. He is solid, stable and the rock in our family. I love him eternally and more than I did 19 years ago today!!

19 years of marriage, 4 beautiful children later!! I am blessed~~~
Here is a thought I have hanging in our bedroom about marriage:
Married happiness is like a tree, it has to grow before you can enjoy its shade. It needs to be taken care of. It takes many years, but if you can concentrate your love on a single tree and wait...you can see it grow. Then there will come a day, when you can lean against it, and find coolness in its shade.
I think our tree is growing...
Be nice to People,
Julie












11 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! You are truly blessed! Have a great day!

Carin said...

Julie, What great memories and wonderful advice for your kids. I took out my endowments in the Logan temple Aug 11 it was 1994 but I also have fond memories of that temple.

Enjoy your anniversary!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Happy 19th Anniversary, Julie! I so enjoyed talking a "walk" with you today, my friend -- and I sure hope that you and your sweetie have something fun planned to celebrate.

Your quote about the "marriage tree" is wonderful ... and so true. May yours continue to grow, prosper, and offer both shade and support as the years go by.

Enjoy your special day!

basketsnprims said...

Happy Anniversary ~ wonderful memories and a beautiful family.
Pam

Eliza said...

What a fun idea to take pictures of all the different places that meant so much to you. Happy anniversary!

Cathy said...

Happy Anniversary! I thought I recognized that temple. We were married in the Dallas Temple. Hope you do something fun to celebrate!

Cathy ♥

andersons said...

Happy anniversary! Ours is tomorrow. What a cute post. It was fun to read. I might have to do one like that tomorrow.

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I'm a day late, but Happy Anniversary! I so enjoyed your post. :) I bet those 19 years feel like they have flown on by. :)

When Dave and I were dating, I was working and he was in college still. It felt like I paid for most of our dates in the early days. LOL

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Such a cute post and you can tell you are all very happy! Congrats to you both.
Rondell♥

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What a sweet trip down memory lane!! L ilove the aggie story!! Mr. Red Door and I lived in a basement apartment when we first got married too. They must be lucky!!

May you hae many many more happy years together. And happy quilting as well - love the projects on the next post!!

hugs, Linda

Nanette Merrill said...

Aw such cute pictures. Good for you. I hold my memories so dear. If I had my way heaven would mean reliving some of the best times in my life now and then.