Second. I noticed the other evening that my hubby was on YouTube watching a video clip on how to fly-fish. So, I say to myself, "Self, go to YouTube and see if there is a video clip on stippling on a sewing machine." Sure enough, there was, and there were SEVERAL!! After watching a few, I mustered up my courage, went downstairs to the sewing machine, and found the free motion foot for the machine. Read the instruction manual, put the foot on--"Put your best foot forward", and ta-dah--started to sew.
Just have a couple of questions for anyone who might have an answer:
1. Do you use those special quilting gloves when you free motion on your sewing machine?
2. Do you turn the fabric or just move it back and forth?
3. How do you keep the stitches even?
Thanks for your input.
So, today, I was a kid who faced her fears, while putting her best foot forward, and opening a can of worms!! Not bad for a day's work!!
Be Nice to People,
Julie

9 comments:
Wahoo to you!! Julie I'm so proud of you! I know you'll have so much fun with this! But beware - next you 'll be looking for advice on how to break the stippling addiction!
You go girl! I am proud of you for facing your fears, I just need to try it myself lol
Good for you. It's fun to learn something new.
I was at the same place you are last summer! I was so excited :o) And no, I am not a glove wearer, but I think for a big quilt it might be helpful for control. Not sure though.
Julie, I was in the same place until I joined the Old Red Barn quilt along. Through the flicker group discussion, there were numerous tips, such as you move the fabric at medium speed and run the machine at a fast speed. I found using the gloves did help. If you want the links to some of the info, send me an email.
Good for you! You're so brave. I love, LOVE, LOVE stippled quilts. I however, can only stipple in my dreams, LOL!
i have tried the gloves, sticky finger things, but mostly i like to roll it and then hold the roll to make it move. my machine- as do many others- don't like to stitch left, so try to keep going right or down or up. you can go left, just not big left. get it? ok then. don't go faster than the machine can stitch. that one is sometimes hard when you get going. the bigger the stitches are the faster you are moving the fabric around. let me know if you need anything else. after you practice a bit you will find your own groove and just take off. have fun!!
I'm so proud of you, Julie! And I can't wait to see all of your new stippled projects....
Enjoy your new-found skill, my friend.
Happy Weekend!
Good for you, now you can make tons of things. It's always great when you learn something for the first time:)
Rondell♥
Post a Comment