Our Jessica had the privilege of going to Washington D.C. last week. She, along with a friend, were chosen from their high school to go. There were 36 other teen-agers who were also chosen to go, representing most of the high schools in our state. She had a memorable, high-adventure time. I appreciated it because the whole trip was paid for, including giving her spending money.
This post honors the brave men and women who have given ALL so that we have the freedoms we have today.
Jessica in front of the Lincoln Memorial. He was such a good man.

Holding the Washington Memorial!! :) Wow, Jess, how did you do that?
The Holocoust Museum. They were not allowed to take photos inside. She said the feeling here was very respectful and reverant. The stories, graphic displays, and memorabilia made her cry.

She took this photo just for me---cute quilt, huh? Thanks, Jess.
Long may she wave.


Land of the free because of the brave.
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. They got to see the changing of the guard, and four of the kids were chosen to help lay the wreath. She said this was one of the most touching remembrances she had ever seen. The guards are there 24/7, 365 days a year, and will pace during hurricane warnings even when the president says they may stop. Such high respect and so well deserved.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!! In all our celebrating this weekend, I hope we remember the reason we GET to celebrate. God Bless America--land that I love. So proud to be an American...
Be nice to people,
Julie
3 comments:
What a wonderful trip for your Jess, Julie! Was it part of the Presidential Classroom program? I went to D.C. when I was about her age on a similar trip which was run by that group. It was quite an honor and I remember that trip fondly, especially because I still keep i touch with several good friends I made that week.
Thank you for such a meaningful amd enjoyable post, my friend. Enjoy the 4th with your family!
I have been to Washington a few times, and seeing those sites never gets old. Very humbling indeed to see Arlington and the memorials. How wonderful Jess was part of that group. I am sure it will stay with her for a very long time.
Have a wonderful 4th and thanks for a great post.
hugs, Linda
What a great and memorable trip for Jessica! I will never forget my trip there and I was especially awed by the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier guards! I would love for my kids to have the opportunity to visit there one day!
I'm so thankful for the freedoms we enjoy as Americans!
Tammy
Post a Comment