Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Surprise Inside

Raise your hand if you've ever eaten a box of Cracker Jacks. But really bought them for the "Surprise Inside". :) I think they have been around forever. However, I hadn't enjoyed their carmelly, crunchy, peanuty goodness or searched for the "Surprise Inside" for a long time.

Last week, I was given a little box of the crunchy, popcorn treat. I opened it and munched away--popcorn still good, not as many peanuts now and, the prize not near as cool as when I was a kid. However, eating them immediately brought a childhood memory to mind. One that I'm not necessarily so proud of, but one that has left an impact on my way of thinking and acting for a lot of years.

When I was in fourth grade, there was a boy who had a monumental crush on me, and the feelings were far from mutual. In fact, he really BUGGED me. He ALWAYS had a runny nose, he said annoying things, his hair stood straight up, and he followed me around like a puppy dog, everywhere. One morning, after arriving at school, I looked in my desk to get a pencil. I noticed a Cracker Jack ring in my desk with a note from Donald telling me he wanted me to be his girl friend, and "here's a ring for you to wear if you will". I was exasperated beyond belief about that proposal and more than embarrassed, you know, in case anyone saw. So as soon as I could, I went to Donald's face with ring in hand. I then smashed the ring with my fingers right in front of him, dropped the ring, and walked off. No words were uttered. However, before storming away, I noticed the wounded, deflated, and rejected look in his eyes. Perhaps the reason I have remembered the story for 33 years. I still see the look.

I am quite a sensitive person, and I vowed that day(probably thinking about my actions at recess) that I would never, on purpose, cause that look to be in anyone else's eyes. Sad for me, I never apologized--pride took over. There are lots of ways that I could have handled that situation that day, but at the immature age of 10, that is how is choose to deal with life and its lessons.

All these years later, I have used this experience to help my own girls realize the effect their actions have on another. Feelings are tender and not worth hurting, for any reason, and especially because someone has a snotty nose, messy hair, or follows you around like a puppy.

A thin, metal Cracker Jack ring taught me a valuable lesson that day. What a "Surprise Inside"
for me.

There are new Surprises waiting for YOU--so open a box and enjoy!! I hope the "Surprise Inside" is just what you need for the day...let me know;)!!

Be Nice to People,
Julie

P.S. sorry Donald...

14 comments:

basketsnprims said...

Aaawww, what a way to teach your girls the important things in life. I still love cracker jacks & you're right ~ not as many peanuts but still delicious. Thanks for sharing your story.
Pam

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Great story Julie. Great lesson for you to pass on to your girls. Thanks fo sharing!!

hugs, Linda

Kimberly said...

I love your stories Julie! Thanks for a sweet reminder...

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Thanks for the great story and what a great one to pass on to your daughters:)
Rondell

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Thanks for the great story and what a great one to pass on to your daughters:)
Rondell

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Another great story, Julie. Isn't it amazing how those moments shape our lives?

My kiddos had their first taste of Cracker Jacks over the weekend. My MIL picked up a couple of vintage style boxes at Wal-Mart. They thought the prizes were pretty fun.

Have a good day, my friend!

Stephanie said...

Hello there... I found your blog from hopping around today and saw your blog name is similiar to mine, so I thought I better check it out! Love it!! I will be back to visit more often.
I recently saw the vintage looking Cracker Jacks at Walmart, they are making a huge come back.I like your story of the prize however :)
Have a great day! Stephanie

Nanette Merrill said...

What a great teaching story Julie. I pretty much did a similar thing to a kid when I was a junior. I crushed him because I didn't think he was "classy" enough for me. I still remember him looking at me weeks after as I flirted with other boys and ignored him. I see my girls turning down dates with boys that look like nice kids and they act like I'm crazy because I think they should give everyone a chance. My 16 year old is the worst. She can crush anyone with a look! I guess we learn too late. And heaven knows kids think we know nothing!! I love cracker jack still. My kids think it is gross and don't get why I like it. It is more of a nostalgia thing.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

such a sweet story and a valuable memory.
last summer I bought a box lot at an auction for $1. in that box, i found an old glass syrup bottle containing dozens of really old cracker jack toys. so many great memories there. thanks for refreshing my memory......sigh.

Elise said...

The wisdom gained from personal experience can be such a powerful thing. thank you for sharing your story which serves as a valuable lesson for your girls.

Love
Elise

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Thanks for sharing such great life lessons, Julie. I always enjoy them. Isn't it funny how a taste or smell can take us back in time. I do that with my perfume that I have had for years. Once I spray it on, it takes me back to times that I like and don't like...Have a great weekend!

Val said...

Wow. This is great. I am going to have my 14 year old grandaughter read this. What a lesson. You know that is why it happened, don't you? It is for you to teach your children and my grandchildren and many others. Thank you. Also, thank you for visiting me & leaving sweet comments. I love your blog.

Farmchick said...

Love Cracker Jacks--I just bought a few vintage style packages of CJ a couple weeks ago. That was a great story....Have a sweet week!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Oh you story about made me cry....how very true...and what a great story to teach your girls! You never know...maybe your path will cross with Donald's one day and you can apologize! Now I will ALWAYS remember your motto "Be Nice to People" with this story in mind!

I loved this post!

Hugs,
Tammy