Monday, January 5, 2009

Through the eyes of a child

Wow!! Already 5 days into 2009. We are all finally back to routine: Hubby back to work, 4 girls back to school, and me back to putting the house together. Glad for the routine.

Well, we had a sad weekend. One of our parakeets, that we have had for 9 1/2 years, died. I found him at the bottom of the cage on Sunday morning right beforewe left for church. His name was Sunshine because he was yellow and green--a very pretty little bird. He had a friend named Sky, who is still chirping away in the cage, and I'm sure missing Sunshine a lot.
Karissa drew this picture Sunday afternoon. I love looking at drawings through the eyes of a child. (Sky is vertical, Sunshine is horizontal). We had a little memorial service for Sunshine. The girls even sang the song, "Sunshine on my shoulder, makes me happy....", and then my hubby dug a grave in the very frozen ground to bury Sunshine in our pet cemetary. Sunshine will reside with other birds, a hamster, goldfish, a bunny and our dog, Tiny. Pets are an interesting mix to add to the family. I have discovered that children learn a lot of life skills when helping take care of a pet. Responsibility, love, loyalty, and the process of grieving are up there on the list!! We just keep plugging along with life, and its bumps and bruises!!

I hope you are all having a wonderful Monday. I am excited to read your posts and comment. Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. I know it takes time out of your busy day, but I so appreciate your kind words and friendship.
Be Nice to People,
Julie

13 comments:

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I'm so sorry about Sunshine. I know how hard that is on the children especially. I do love the drawings, and I love to look at children's drawings too...it's great to see how they view the world! I agree with you about all the learning opportunities for children with pets.

I hope you all have a great week, in spite of the loss of Sunshine!

Blessings,
Tammy

Kimberly said...

Oh, I'm sorry too Julie! But glad to hear Sky is still singing for you!

Janene said...

We used to have a parakeet named Sky too! Unfortunately he flew out an open window never to be seen again!
Pets are very good for children, it teaches them about the circle of life to death. Also the resposibility they learn is priceless!
Love the drawing!

Juanita said...

Awww So Sad!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your bird! I know that all of our pets are part of our families and it's hard on the family. The picture is precious! Hope you have a Blessed day!
Juanita

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Aww I am so sorry about Sunshine. It's one of those hard life lessons. We had pets at school for the same reason - so much science but much more than that can be learned from them. Keeping you guys in my thoughts, hugs, Linda

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

I'm sorry that one of your beloved birdies has passed, Julie. Losing a pet is never easy, but it sounds like you and your husband set the stage well for goodbyes...

On a happier note -- hooray for a return to the routine! I'm busy righting the house as well ... and it feels SO GOOD!

I so enjoyed your comments today :)

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Hi Julie,
So sorry about Sunshine...will you be buying another buddy for Sky?

Thanks for stopping by and leaving wonderful comments:)
Rondell

Raggedy Angel said...

It is the circle of life! I love the drawing! Beth

Leslie said...

Sorry to hear about Sunshine. Shane lost a hermit crab this weekend :( It's the 6th one that he had die and he still had three others but this death really got to him because Crabby was the crab that he had had the longest. He decided Saturday night that he wanted to take his money and buy a new crab, a tiny one because he really wanted to have four, even though he would miss Crabby. We took him and bought the new crab. He's feeling a bit better now. He figures that maybe Crabby was so big because he was really old.

Hugs!
Leslie

Wendy said...

Sorry to hear about sunshine, but love the picture...a sad but lovely treasure! I'm with you on the back to routine...I've soooo missed my 'ordered chaos'...lol!

Carla said...

I'm sorry for your loss, we too, had many animals that went to heaven. One way to learn about life and death on a small scale. I agree, how perfect is life through a child's eyes! How literal. I know what you mean about back to the routine! Whew!

Katy said...

Awww...I am so sorry Julie! It's always hard to lose a pet...especially one you had for so long! xoxo

Farmhouse Blessings said...

So sorry about Sunshine. You're right, pets do add so much to a child's experience. Its so good that Karissa could express her grief through her art. So precious.

Blessings,
Lea