Friday, November 7, 2008

"Toe" much to be grateful for

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was going to try to remember my blessings this month and try to stay focused on being grateful. Well, today I am thankful for my big toes.(swollen and all). I know, kind of silly. However, have you ever thought about NOT having big toes? Or hurting a big toe. I tipped over a heavy, wooden seated, metal based stool on my left, big toe today. I literally saw stars and had to sit and put my head down so I wouldn't pass out. I was subbing at the school when it happened, and luckily it happened after school. Heavens, I wouldn't have wanted the kids to see me cry. I had so many plans for the afternoon, too--go to a quilt store that was having a Christmas open house, clean a neglected house, run to the post office and Wal-Mart, and sew, sew, sew!! Not one of those things happened because I laid on the bed with my toe shooting pain out the tip for 4 hours...oh, happy day!! I continually tried to get it to move, too, because, "IF it can move, it isn't broken, right?" You know, sometimes we take things for granted--toes, for example. Then something inconvienent and annoying happens, and we appreciate what we have had all along , and should have appreciated long ago. So, today I'm thankful for my big(and little toes--all 10)!! Cuz', "this little piggie went to market, this little piggie stayed home, this little piggie had roast beef, this little piggie had none,and this little piggie went wee, wee, wee ALL the way home!!" Have a weekend full of wonder.
Be Nice to People,
Julie

14 comments:

Raggedy Angel said...

I broke my big toe when I was younger and it still hurts when it gets cold! Most of time it will get a blue ring around it,when it is broken. Take care of your pigs! Beth

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh I am so sorry about that toe. Many years ago I had surgery on the bones of my big toe and was in a non weight bearing cast for 12 weeks. I promised myself I would never take my mobility for granted ever again. I hope your toe feels better ASAP so you can resume all your needed and 'want to' tasks!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I hope you are feeling better and your toe is letting you get around today a little bit!

I had a knee operation last April and for a day or two I had to get around with a walker, it sure was a big eye opener for me and I now know not to take anything for granted:)
Try to have a great rest of the weekend:)
Rondell

Farmchick said...

Ouch! Hope your toe is feeling better. I know what you mean...a few years back I dropped the grill rack on my big toe....that was the most pain I have EVER had. It got so swollen and full of blood I had to poke a hot needle into it to relieve the pressure! Okay I will stop now!!! I hope you are doing better!

Time to Blog It Up! said...

owwwww...so sorry about the toe, hope it is feeling better. No it is not fun to have a sore toe! It is kind of amazing how when any one part of our body gets hurt it really makes you realize just how important each part is. I am so thankful for each part. smile. Tamee

Kimberly said...

Ooh, I feel your pain! A couple of summers ago I was going up the garage steps to the backyard to open the pool for the girls when I smashed ALL the toes on my right foot on the cement stair. THEN, when I took the next step, I smashed ALL the toes on my left foor on the next cement stair. THEN as I was falling on the grass in agony, I flattened Emily in the process. So basically I scalped ALL my toes (amazingly no breaks, but bruising like a rainbow!)and wiped out my daughter all within 5 seconds. Ahhh, good times! I couldn't even wear flip flops because of the muscles it takes to keep the things on!

basketsnprims said...

So sorry about your toe. I'm like Angie, I broke 2 toes & when it's cold, they still hurt. Take care and rest that foot.

Pam

Farmhouse Blessings said...

LOL ~ now that is an original thankfulness post! But you're so right, when sudden we try to do without these little things we often take for granted, we realize just how very, very blessed we are.

Hope that big toe is feeling better really soon.

On a completely different subject, can you email me about what you use for water storage. From a preparedness point of view, we've been trying to come up with a solution for water storage and still don't have it resolved. Thanks a bunch!

Have a blessed weekend,
Lea

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

That's not a silly thing at all! Our big toes serve us well! They serve more purpose than we realize probably! I'm so sorry about your toe! I know that had to hurt! Hope it's a lot better soon!

Tammy

Tiffany said...

Ahhh, goodness! Bless your heart! (and your poor toe!) I hope it starts feeling better soon!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

That sounds so painful! I have stubbed my little toe so many times and I've seen stars. I'm sure it is magnified with the BIG one! I hope you are feeling much better today!

Jo-Anne said...

OUCH!! I am so sorry about your toe!! I hope it is better very soon...:):):)
oxox,
Jo-Anne

Kimberly said...

Hi Julie, how's your piggie today?

I got a wonderfully fantastic package in the mail today, one for which I am SOOO thankful! It's amazing, and I just love it!

I've already posted... come check out the pics!

Thanks so much, for everything! Blessings, Kimberly

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

I sure hope your toe is feeling better, Julie! Is it broken?

I emailed you my info the other day. I hope it got through...

Take care of yourself, my friend!