Tuesday, May 20, 2008

These are a few of my Favorite Things

I enjoy a lot of things about life. Today I will tell about 2 of my favorites:
1. Magazines
2. Quilt Shops

Number 1--magazines. I love to look at magazines. I like magazines that are wholesome, full of good ideas, easy to read, have loads of pictures, articles on self-improvement, little advertising,recipes,coupons, and that leave me with lots of ideas and thoughts of my own. I also appreciate stores who cover inappropriate covers from little and big eyes as we go through the check stand. I think those stores deserve a BIG THANKS!! Magazines can be so worthwhile. I'm still trying to figure out why we need to pay $6.99 for some of them, but I suppose that's the way it is in this ol' world.
Number 2--quilt shops. I love to go to quilt shops. I like the comfy feel of them, the smells, the displays, the look and feel of all kinds of fabric, the quilts hanging on the wall, and on ladders, and draped on chairs, and lying on tables. I forget the rest of my world and just be absorbed in it all. Ahhh...it is grand. Luckily, here in Utah, there are a lot of quilt shops owned by a bunch of very talented ladies. So, finding them isn't a problem, finding time to go to them is another story.

Well, imagine how grand it is, when a magazine and quilt shops are combined?!! Oh the bliss!! I actually bought this magazine yesterday at JoAnn's--so I could use my 40% off coupon--ha, it didn't cost me $6.99.I have yet to look at it from cover to cover because I'm waiting for quiet, uninterrupted time(I know, I will be waiting awhile). Just from looking inside the front cover though, I do know that 10 different quilt shops are featured--WAHOO. Each shop also provides a pattern for a quilt--sweet!! I can't wait to curl up in a chair with homemade popcorn--lots of butter and salt and read and look at EVERY picture and EVERY word. It really is inspiring to look at talent and abiltity from others. I hope it rubs off on me every time I look and dream. I hope there's a pattern that grabs me. I love to quilt!! It is one of the most satisfying things I've done so far in life.

Part of the reason I bought the magazine is because as I was browsing, I realized that a quilt shop in Utah was featured. It's call the Material Girls. I have been to the shop several times, and it is a darling shop. The owner is a sweetheart, too. She is always positive and helpful. Like I said, there are a lot of very talented quilters in Utah.


So, I think I will go do all the things that need to be done as a SAHM, and maybe, just maybe, I can sneak off and look at my magazine later tonight. Happy reading....

Be Nice to People,

Julie

6 comments:

Carin said...

You get quiet time? You lucky!

Elise said...

I hear you when you say you are looking forward to a little uninterrupted time, to read every word and peruse every picture. I also love buying inspirational magazines and eagerly anticiapte the time when I can sit down with my feet up and enjoy every part of the magazine. One of life's simple pleasures - so relaxing and blissful.

I hope tonight, a window of opportunity comes your way and you can enjoy your new magazine.

Love
Elise.

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Country Sampler is a favorite magazine of mine (except last issue...I heard a rumor they are going to stop doing primitive, it sure showed in the last issue). But any kind of country decorating magazine, I can really get absorbed in. But I agree, $6.99 for a magazine...that's a little steep. But they are all getting more and more like that!
I hope you got to put you feet up last night and enjoy your mag!
I don't sew...but I do enjoy buying fabric now and then for projects. I love looking through the bolts and bolts of never ending fabric...thinking of all the projects I don't know how to do. :) You do such beautiful work. Now I'm serious, how much would you charge for a valance? :) Probably depends on how wide, huh?

Hope you have a wonderful day, my friend!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Good mornin' Julie!

Yep, now I know we're kindred spirits. Those are two of my favorite thngs too!

We don't have a quilt shop around here, but I used to buy these quilt videos of antique quilts and order them occasionally. I have quilts everywhere! (I don't quilt though). We used to laugh because my then 3 year old would watch the videos and know the names of the different patterns. He'd NEVER admit to that now (he's 19).

And..I rarely ever leave to go anywhere without taking along at least one magazine just in case I have some downtown or just a few minutes to grab a peek because that's the way I get to look at them too...in snippets. I even look at them while I'm eating! Country Sampler is my favorite.

And why do we have to pay $6.99???? Glad you got to use your 40% coupon! That makes it even sweeter!

Have a great day!
Tammy

Farmhouse Blessings said...

... you're a woman after my own heart! When I lived in Georgia, we had quilt stores everywhere. We have none here and I do miss them. So you'll just have to share yours so I can visit with you!

Smiles,
Lea

Kimmie said...

My oh my...we are so much alike. I love quiet time with a good magazine. I LOVE quilt shops even though they are getting far and few between these days. It is good that you take some "Me" time, it is a gift to our soul...and sanity! ;-)
Hugs,
Kimmie