Tuesday, October 4, 2011

East of Us!

A vacation. My hubby and I went on a vacation. Well, that's not totally true. He attended a conference. I was on a vacation. Vacation is defined as: not cooking, not cleaning, not picking up after anyone but me, not making my own bed and not waking up with responsibilities. EVERYONE needs a vacation.

This is the view from our hotel room in National Harbor, Maryland. We were on the 12th floor. This was taken from the balcony overlooking the Potomac. Those windows are called job security for window washers. Wowsers!

One day I took the water taxi into Alexandria, VA. I walked A LOT but saw a lot. I shopped and looked and just enjoyed--by myself. I am rarely alone. It was wierd. I liked it--well, just kind of. I kept wanting to show the girls this and that.  Look at this cool cobblestone street.
B-U-M-P-Y!

What is this? It came from a tree...

I called this "Bret and Julie's Excellent Adventure." We were laughing about that. We rode a bus and then transferred on to the Metro to tour the D.C. area. ADVENTURE, for sure. But, I must say that the metro system in D.C. is very efficient. We did it with not a glitch!

The metro before it was standing room only.

Changing of the Guard at Arlington Cemetary. One word: Respect.

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Look at those beautiful flowers!

Great monument for an incredible man. I have always had the deepest respect for Abraham Lincoln.
One of his quotes, "Whatever you are, be a good one".

Korean War Memorial

This is the Vietnam War/ Wall Memorial. Thousands of names----so very sad.

From the WWII Memorial

The Washington Monument has cracks from the recent earthquake. While we were there, men and women were repelling it to check for internal damage. I do believe we witnessed history in the making.

WWII Memorial. My Dad served in this war.  I appreciate those who have sacrificed so much so that we can be free.  Freedom is not free.

The White House.
We also went to some of the Smithsonian Museums and the Holocaust Museum. That was very sobering. I had to hurry through at the end because my heart and head couldn't absorb anymore. 
Vacation: it was grand.
Home: There really is no place like it!
Be Nice to People,
Julie


6 comments:

Kerin said...

Great pictures! Looks like you did your 'vacation' justice! You went to some awesome places!
I love to go too, but I like to come home better. I can relate with the getting back home feelings.
Have a great week!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

How wonderful that you and your hubby were able to take a vacation....just the two of you! But I know what you mean, there really is no place like home. I think going away for a few days or longer makes you love it all the more! :)

Blessings,
Tammy

Nanette Merrill said...

You 2 are so cute. Just CUTE. Love the east coast. I'm from near Philly - just a stones throw away from where you were. Sweet photos but it has been a long time since I was there.

Anthony GD said...

Great pictures! I like this, I hope I to go....

Appalachian Mercantile said...

Your tree is called an Osage Orange, or Hedge Apple. If you brought some home to eat, you eat them in reverse (i.e. you don't eat the pulpy part, you only eat the seed).

I am FULL of useless information! ROFL

It does look like you had a great time. Good to enjoy some time with the Hubs!!!

Blessings...

Becky J. said...

lucky girl--- looks fun!