Thursday, March 3, 2011

Quilt-As-You-Go Runner

Good Morning or should I say, "It was a dark and dreary morning"... cuz that's what I see when I look out the window at the heavily falling rain.  Rain in the valley, snow in the mountains---my kind of storm. 
I have been busy with birthdays, school musicals, subbing and just life, but found time to make this table runner.  I actually got most of it done while talking to my BFF of 29 years on the phone for 2 hours last Saturday. 
Multi-task is my world, I guess. 

Anyway, the president of our quilt group asked me if I would demonstrate how to make this at our next quilt meeting. It was easy, quick and lots of fun to make....no seam ripper involved :)!! 
Here are some instructions for those who would like to make it:

I used a charm pack called Lollipop from Moda and cut about 8 of the squares in half to make
16 2 1/2" x5" rectangles. I then cut 10 2 1/2"x2 1/2" squares and placed them randomly on the top( it is a half yard of kona cotton---cream color).  I just used fabric glue to hold them in place.

It is quilt as you go.  Layer the back, then the batting( I use warm and natural) and then the top.  Make sure you pin all the layers together. I used curved safety pins. Then quilt around each square or rectangle. Make your binding and sew that on.( that takes about a 1/3 yard--with some left over).  Wash and dry... and you get this wonderful raggy look.  I just put it on the rinse cycle--no need for laundry soap.

This is what the back looks like. ( a half yard of kona cotton).
Hope you try to make one--if you have questions--just ask :)!!!  And if you make one, send me a photo--I would love to see.  Hope you all have a great day. Thanks for stopping by to say Hi and visit!!
Be Nice to People,
Julie

7 comments:

Debbie said...

It looks great Julie! I have been doing some quilting lately too. I may have to try this next!

*hugs*
Debbie K

Kimberly said...

Love it!

I was just today thinking of doing a ticker tape quiltie. (I have tons of Amy Butler odds and ends that are calling my name.)

I guess great minds really do think alike!

Rachel said...

Wow! That is really cute! Thanks for sharing!
Rachel

Heather said...

Can't wait until your demo!! Looks great!

Kerin said...

Adorable....as always.
This looks like a project that even I could do.
I will have to remember this one, and when I get some extra time, get it done :)
Have a happy weekend!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Adorable as always, Julie! Your handmades are always such fun to peek at. I love that some of them are right here in my home.

Hope you're having a lovely weekend ...

Tammy said...

Love the fabric. I will have to try that.