Guess what I get to do on Monday?
If you guessed colonoscopy you would be right!! Here are some reasons why:
1. My Dad had colon cancer. His spread to his intestines, stomach, and bladder. That was a very ugly surgery.
2. My Dad's cancer then spread to his liver--1/3 of it was removed. Did you know that your liver regenerates? His is 100% there again.
3. My Dad's cancer then spread to his lungs. He is missing 1/3 of one lung. My Dad is a walking miracle. He is 83 years young and has been "cancer-free" for almost 5 years. One more MRI, and he is FREE..
4. However, watching him deal with the surgeries, and chemo and radiation and loss of hair and energy and zest for life IS NOT what I would like to have to deal with. So, about 3 1/2 years ago I had my first colonoscopy. I was only 41. Recommended age for a colonoscopy----50.
5. I had 5 polyps---not cancerous--but could have been one day. Colon cancer is preventible if screened for and taken care of.
6. Thus, every 3-5 years, I go through the inconvience again of taking laxatives and drinking gunk and starving and staying VERY close to the porcelain throne. Believe me, all that, and the few side effects that might be left are far better than the CANCER alternative. I have watched it first-hand. Not pretty.
7. Two of my three brothers have been screened, both had polyps. I wonder where all three of us would be in about 10-20 years, had we not gotten a screening...hmmm---don't really want to think about it.
7. So, if you find yourself thinking about getting a colonoscopy, go for it!! Be brave!! You can do it!!
(getting off my soapbox now)
Hope you all have a great day!!
Be Nice to People,
Julie


9 comments:
Truer words were never spoken. I turned 50 the end of last year and need to schedule mine. My dad has had esophageal and lung cancer. Not something I want to have to go through or witness again.
Glad you are keeping up with your screenings.
I work in health care too and it's so sad sometimes what I see.
Good luck on Monday. Look toward Tuesday.
Blessings,
Rhonda
I am so glad your dad is doing well now, but I am so sorry he went through so much!! I had my first colonoscopy at age 45 and get them every few years as well.
Great post Julie... I hope it inspires at least a few people to get one soon!!
Just think, you'll feel lighter by Tuesday!! Hugs!!
Good for you ! I am sorry for the ordeal your Dad has endured but he does indeed sound like a walking miracle .Best of luck on Monday ! Hugs,Jen
Very informative post Julie! Hub and I will be going through the same thing in a few weeks.
Glad your dad is doing so well.
Hugz,
Sheila
I'm amazed at everything your poor old dad has had to go through - he sounds like a real fighter! I think sometimes you have to stick your neck out and post something a little different from the norm. We're all only human at the end of the day and if doing this benefits your life then it's something you have to do!
As a Colon Cancer survivor (7 years), I want to THANK YOU for this post. All I can say is AMEN SISTER. What a wonderful story about your dad. I, too, went thru awful surgeries!! God is so Good!!!!!!!
My husband just had his first. One polyp, no cancer, goes back in 5 yrs. He said, afterward, not bad and he'd do it again! Glad your taking care of yourself! Best wishes!
Best of luck!
Cancer is an awful thing to go through. We watched what it did to my father in law, and would not wish that disease on anyone.
It's wonderful that your father is a survivor and thriving!
I'll be thinking about you and sending out good-luck vibes :)
Great post. My own dad died from colon cancer that spread to his liver. Unfortunately his had spread throughout his liver and resectioning wasn't an option. I'm due for my second colonoscopy soon, and dreadful as the prep is, the alternative is much worse!
Post a Comment