Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I CAN do HARD things

Hello Everyone!!  I am home...home sweet home.   We had a great family vacation, and I could post over 300 photos for you, but know that you would rather I not.  So I just have a few to share. (Along with a life-altering tid-bit).
We had a great time in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. 

We camped and so our daily jaunt to the restroom must have made my hubby think it was picture worthy.
My entire family met up one evening and did a Chuckwagon Dinner and Show. My cousins run the BAR T 5 Chuckwagon Dinner and show in Jackson, so they were our hosts.  IF you ever get to Jackson, go!!  You won't be disappointed.
                                                                         
After six days of family togetherness.

This picture represents the title of my post.  My family wanted to white river raft down the Snake River. I wanted to be apart, but if any of you have a fear, paranoia, or intense dislike of fast moving water like I do, you will understand how VERY DIFFICULT it was for me to do this.( I also CANNOT swim).  I have never done anything more difficult, and that includes having 5 c-sections!!  NOT KIDDING.  I white knuckled it the WHOLE way, and only swore one time.(I asked for forgiveness later.)   

The rapids were very scarey and fast and white!!  We went through one called Big Kahuna.  I said I would go on the raft trip, if Bret would agree to steer the raft around this rapid.  However, after much pleading from the girls to go straight through it, I relented. However, when Bret steered the raft, we missed it and went to the left of it.  He is a very good navigator--just fyi!!  I know it was a tender mercy from a higher source. I just know.  It was still way too  fast and deep and frightning anyway.  Long story, short... We all survived and created an amazing memory.
When we got home from the trip, Bret asked me what my favorite part of the vacation was. I told him the rafting.  I got a very blank stare. I explained it was because I learned that I can do VERY HARD things. I might hate  strongly dislike what I need to do, but now I know I CAN do it.  Good life lesson for me.
Great family time, great memories, great insight for me on this trip we called a vacation!!  
I hope all is well with you and yours.  It is good to be home on DRY land :)!!
Thanks for taking a minute to stop by.
Be Nice to People,
Julie

7 comments:

West Side of Straight said...

Sounds like a great vacation, and the rafting is something that I've always wanted to do. So glad you got to experience it. Yes, we CAN do hard things when we NEED to. Congratulations!

Adam and Crystal said...

Looks like a ton of fun!

Sheila said...

Good to see you are all home and safe! I'm with you Julie, I don't know how many times my hubby has said he'd like for us to float the Snake River and I have the same fears as you! Told him I think it would be a great Father/Son event since my son is an extreme sport kind of kid! Anyone who can rock climb and hang off a tiny rope 380' off the ground can surely float this same river with his dad. Anyway, looks like a wonderful time was had by all and we will have to check out the BAR T 5 soon.
Blessings to you my friend~
Sheila

Kerin said...

Oh Julie!! You are a brave girl....especially due to the fact that you can't swim!!
I am so glad that you had fun and that you were able to stretch and grow (even though we all know that it is not fun!)and now you know you CAN do hard things!!:)
Looks to me like you guys had a wonderful vacation and that you have a great bunch of pictures to scrapbook and memories to last a life time!!
Hope you have a great day today and that you get to do something fun!!

Maria said...

Jacksonhole is is awesome!!
Looks like you had a great time!
Hope you're rested up!

limpingalong said...

Years ago, during a camping trip, I had to walk across a deep ravine full of big rocks ready to smash my tender body. I HATE (yes, I used that word!) walking across something like that and told my sweet hubby that I only did it so that he would not be embarassed at having to turn back at that point.
But, I assured him, either there was another way home or I was building a cabin on the spot -- I would never be crossing that log again!!

Becky J. said...

wooohoooo!!! yay for you! congrats. check it off the bucket list and move on. way to conquer!
see ya wed. :)