Friday, February 12, 2010

Having a Conversation

In our ward at church, I work with children ages 3-11, teaching them songs. It is a great calling, and I love the music that our church has for the children. This Sunday, I thought we would use the little candy conversation hearts that have been around as long as dinosaurs(well, maybe not that long, but as long as me or longer)!

We all know that each heart has a few words on it--like love, or call me or ask me or follow me, etc. I will tell that children that Heavenly Father has sent them Valentines with messages on them. Like:
call me=prayer(we will then sing a song about praying
love lasts=the love He has for them(sing a song about love)
be true=be true(sing a song about being true)
I think you understand!
After we sing a few songs, I have made a little hand-out for each of the kids that says, "Have a conversation with Heavenly Father."
These candies kind of taste like chalk, but hey..we all eat them anyway!! :)
All ready to go. I hope they learn from this that Heavenly Father loves them unconditionally and that they can have a conversation with him anytime, anywhere. They will learn this all through music--isn't that fantastic?!
Have a warm and fuzzy weekend, all. Surround yourself with those whom you love and LOVE them. We don't know what tomorrow will bring.
Be Nice to People,
Julie

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Julie, this is a really wonderful idea to use the ♥ candies along with singing music to show the kids how much Jesus loves and cares about them. I am sure this will be a real fun learning time for them!

Happy Valentine's Day Julie!

Blessings,
~Lynn

Leah said...

Great idea! --- really great idea... Little Conversations With God!

Carole said...

This is great ! I bet lots of the kids go home thinking they love what you teach them and want to come back !
Happy Valentine's day !

Jo-Anne said...

How wonderful! The children will love it!

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

I'll bet they sing for you at the top of their lungs!
What a fun idea! I'm in Nursery 1. We had so many kids that they split us into two nurseries! We have the babies, when they first come at 18 months. I love it.
Happy Valenitnes Day Julie
Mercy

Kerin said...

Too cute !
What a great object lesson too!!
You will have their attention for sure !
I admire you for coming up with such a great idea, and making it meaningful for the children. I can see that your heart is really in your calling. What a great example you are!!
Have the best day.

Quilting Melodies said...

I love the idea! I told Tiffany about it and she used the candy heart idea at the end of her lesson on Sunday with her little 9 yr olds... The kids loved it!!

Have a happy day!

Angie