Thursday, February 4, 2010

Engaged in this

I haven't been sewing or crafting or cleaning or....but I have been engaged in this:
Watching Rissy come home from 100 day at school today. She made a visor, a necklace--with 100 beads and got a 100 days smarter sticker. Glad I was here to greet this little firecracker.:)
Helping Becca with writing spelling sentences---big words she has for a fifth grader. Do you know what conceed means? Sheesh....

Letting Savannie take over in the kitchen. She is a GOOD cook. When do we get homemade bread, Vannie-Voo?

Letting Jessica become more independent as she navigates high school, dating and driving. That is a hard one...she needs me, but she doesn't. Do you Mom's know what I mean? Hmmmm....
I found this thought: "Watching your daughter(s) being collected by her date feels like handing over a million dollar Stradivarius to a gorilla." Yup.
Hope you are having a good sun-shiney day wherever you may be.
Be Nice to People,
Julie

9 comments:

Sheila said...

What beautiful girls you have and how lucky you are to be able to be there for them. And, yes I do remember when our daughter was at the age of your oldest and the dating began! Wouldn't want to go back to those days!!!! Got through it and then into college where she met her hubby and she found a gem for sure. Thank goodness the highschool boyfriend went by the wayside! Really! He was not SIL material at all.............

Leah said...

Memories.... yes I remember when both of my kids celebrated their 100th day of school and how excited they were; and their attempts at cooking/baking; and my daughters first "boy" friend and second "boy" friend.... Oh what years!

Lynn said...

Julie, you have beautiful girls! I have one daughter, who is all grown up now and I really do understand what you mean about them dating and driving.. I think I walked the floor continually till Michele's date brought her back home!

Thanks for bringing back all the wonderful memories!

Blessings,
~Lynn

Rhonda said...

Hi Julie
I am just starting into those days also. My problem is the wanting me one minute and ignoring me the next. I know she needs to be pulling away some but it's really a weird feeling. Dating won't be for a year or so but I'm already dreading it. To hand over God's most precious gift to some BOY never. I just pray and pray now.

Blessings,Rhonda

Gettysburg Homestead said...

I read a sign the other day that said "Raising teenagers is like nailing jello to a tree." LOL Oh do I dread the driving days.

Mary

Lynn said...

Julie,
Such beautiful daughters. Oh my, I do remember my two daughters, now grown and married with their own children and "wonderful" husbands, dating years! My oldest daughter was engaged to the WRONG one first. I would support her because she thought she "loved" him and this was the life she had chosen and then I would pray, pray, pray. Yes, as we all figured, he did break her heart, but before the wedding, PTL. Not an easy time watching her hurt like that, but eventually came the day when she said, "Mom I think I found the man I am going to marry someday, his name is Mike" Mike was the "keeper". They now have 3 precious boys. Very, very hard to let your children find their own way in life, especially if it is a very different course than you have chosen. As with everything in life, prayer makes it an easier walk. Have a blessed day. I am putting the quote from your SIL on my blog. THANK YOU BOTH!!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

What wonderful ways to spend your days, Julie...

We're brainstorming for Michaela's 100th day project. She wants to use 100 fabric scraps to make a "pretend quilt" on poster board. Ahhh... the joys of a Kindergarten mind :)

We wrote out the kids' valentines yesterday and we'll do a little V-Day crafting this weekend. Fun times I hope they'll remember.

Happy Weekend, my friend...

Spencer said...

Well, I can understand why that would be hard, letting your daughter date. But just think of it this way. She will be able to learn for herself, it is not all it's cracked up to be.

Kerin said...

Oh, Julie...
What darling girls you have !
We only have one daughter.
I welcomed every challenge that we had with her though.
We almost lost her , several times.
She had a kidney transplant, and is serving a mission in Ohio.
EACH and EVERY day , we feel blessed !
Children are a test, and sure pull at the heart in so many ways.
We learned how to appreciate every day that they are with us.
And.... pray. pray. pray.
Have the best day.