Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ladybug Fly Away Home

A couple of weeks ago, we went to Idaho to visit my aunt and uncle. I lived with them while I attended my junior and senior year of high school. Because the school where I grew up only went to 1oth grade, we had to leave home and live with someone else to finish high school. Luckily, I had a caring aunt and uncle with whom to live. They are like second parents to me.


While we were there, I discovered how much my aunt and I have in common. I looked around at the books, magazines, patterns, fabric, knick-knacks and quilts she had and realized I had many of the same. She LOVES lady bugs and has a cute collection of many different things ranging from magnets to picture frames. She even had a ladybug tea set.

While we were there, the cogs in my brain turned, and I remembered that I had fabric and a pattern to make this runner. I have had it for quite some time, and decided it was time to make it, and send it to my aunt. I sent the package today.

Have to show you my stippling--the new skill I am attempting to learn. :)

This lady bug quilt was on her bed. All the different fabrics had lady bugs in them. It was adorable.

A hand-quilted row quilt my aunt made. Notice Row #6 has lady-bugs.

Is this cute or what? I love the sunflower fabric in the center of the churn dashes. My aunt still had this one on the design wall, but it was almost finished.

She even tats. I would love to learn to tat. I wish she lived closer so that she could teach me how.
She showed me a lot of other projects she was working on, too. It was a wonderful day.
And, I hope you also are having a wonderful day.
Be Nice to People,
Julie






9 comments:

Kimberly said...

Julie, it's beautiful! (Although I HATE ladybugs... interesting story, I'll tell you sometime!) Your stippling looks great, you must have been practicing! Keep it up!

And your runner is out in my living room as I type... it's my evening handwork project that's getting done slowly and surely. I hope you like it... it's quite mellow and fallish... :)

Kimberly said...

Oh, and it has my most favorite black fall fabric in the world in it... you lucky gal, you!

Nanette Merrill said...

I adore that lady bug quilt! Oh wow it is so amazing.

Becky said...

I love the ladybug runner you made! So adorable! How can one NOT love ladybugs? Your aunt does beautiful work! Has she ever thought of making and selling them? I would love to have a beautiful work of either of you two. Keep those gorgeous pics coming.

Anonymous said...

What a fun day with a special relative :o) I LOVE your ladybug quilt. And your aunt's quilts are really lovely!

Little Penpen said...

Wonderful quilts! I love your aunt's row quilt... so bright and cheerful. She is going to LOVE your little ladybug quilt!

cwa said...

Hello. That ladybug table runner you made is oh so cute, and all the quilts are just beautiful. When we moved into the house we live in now, it was infested with, you guessed it, ladybugs. Since they didn't really hurt anything, they don't bite or sting, I didn't worry too much about it. Eventually nature ran its' course and all the ladybugs disappeared. Now I wish there were a few left because they are so darn cute. Thanks for sharing the photos of those family treasures. Blessings to you.

Carin said...

Julie It is so wonderful that you have such a great relationship with your Aunt. I too love ladybugs, my DD we called and still do some times Miss Bug. I ADORE your ladybug table runner you made. Just darling.

Your Aunt sounds like and amazing woman.

Becky J. said...

oh lucky her!! they are cute and great job on the quilting too.