Monday, August 31, 2009

I wish...


Have you ever wished you could save the world? I have. I know, not possible. Okay then, so maybe one child ...here's a story...

I subbed today at the elementary. A simple enough job until the word fire drill was announced over the loud speaker. And, then I turned and saw a handsome, fourth grade boy--sobbing and shaking like a leaf. So, I walked over to him, whispered in his ear to follow me, and took him out of the classroom. I put my arms around him and asked what was wrong. He told me, between sobs, that he was scared of fire drills because of the LOUD noise the alarm makes. Interesting that would come from a fourth grader, I thought. Kindergartner maybe, fourth grader---hmmmmm.

Consequently, I took him to the office where just he and I found out EXACTLY when the fire drill would be-- so there would be no surprise. I let him lead the line out the door when it sounded, and he got to report to the secretary that we had all made it out safe and sound. He also sat by me most of the morning--you know, just in case... He was quiet the rest of the day--but he made it--he faced a fear.

I know the story behind this sweet, somber, young boy. His Mom died of luekemia 4-5 years ago. I said NOT FAIR, NOT FAIR all day as I watched him deal with life. His Mom was an angel here on earth, and I'm sure one in heaven watching over him. I wanted to give him a HUGE hug today and say--"that's from your Mom"--but I didn't, why--I don't know--just couldn't, I guess....
I get to sub this class for the week. One thing I have learned is just how resilient and strong children are--he will make it--he will!!

So, I can't save the world, but I honestly hope to make a difference for one child. I will feel successful if I see a huge smile from him by the end of the week-- now that, I don't think, is impossible!!

Be Nice to People,
Julie

12 comments:

Conley Family said...

What a sad story Julie! I just about cried reading it. That poor lil' guy. I'll be sending him hugs. *Sigh* why do these things happen?

The Farmers Oldest Daughter said...

You helped one little boy today and that is like saving the world to him. Thank you so much for doing that.

Have a great rest of the week and am anxious to hear if you get that smile.

Maxine

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

I have a lump in my throat, I too would wrap my arms around that sweet oy. Have a great rest of your week!~Wendy

Anonymous said...

Oh how sad Julie... I am so glad he has you there for him this week.. poor little guy.

Janene said...

It is so great that you are there for him this week! Fate...

Carin said...

I think the Lord puts us where we need to be and you needed to be with this young man this week, you never know what will happen because you helped him this week years down the road.

Kindra-At Home With K said...

What a wonderful post, Julie. I got tears in my eyes. Teachers are such a special gift. You are one of them.

Kellon is very sensitive to sound...that boy reminded me of him.

Time to Blog It Up! said...

sniff, sniff....you did a wonderful thing. We all need those special Hero's in our life to help us make it through a tough day. WAY TO GO! It's hard not to have a mom, but aren't we all glad that some very sweet people have the wisdom to help those without. SMILE you did good!

Jessica said...

Add me to the choked up list! He's blessed that he has you, someone to care about him, even if just for a week. I'm sure you will not forget him though!!

My son does not like loud noises either, he's 9.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post and sweet comments. I am blessed to have you in my life!!
I have your flower all hooked, now for the time to put them on a stick and do the rest of the stuff I have to do to them. My rug hook group loved them.
See you soon.

Unknown said...

The world is truly blessed to have a wonderful person like yourself. I know that not only he will walk away with something this week but so will you. Thanks for sharing!
Christy

Anonymous said...

So sad, but I have to know....did you get that smile? Hope so, but even if you didnt you helped him, I am sure of it!