Friday, July 24, 2009

I love a parade

Today is Pioneer Day in Utah. It is the day that the first people entered the Salt Lake Valley after WALKING from the midwest to Utah. There are all kinds of activites for families to do. From rodeos, to 5K races, to games in the park, to parades. We went to a parade last night.

The kids love the clowns. Now how did he get on that bike?

A very fine tractor. I had to take this photo--it's the farm girl in me!!

One of the more fancy floats. This parade is the second biggest in the state. There is one this morning in Salt Lake that we can watch on t.v.


I appreciate so much my ancestors and the sacrifices they made so that I have the comforts and way of life that I have today. I hope everyone has a nice weekend. I'm off to watch the parade and go to the park!! Happy 24th!!

Be Nice to People,

Julie





9 comments:

Eliza said...

I'm glad you went to the parade. July is a tough month for me to live away from Utah because I just love all the celebrations of the 4th and 24th. I have so many wonderful memories of them every year. :)

Carla said...

We are having a ward fish fry to celebrate. Down here in our area of Texas, Mormons are far and few. How wonderful to have a day set apart to remember the sacrifices made for our behalf! Have fun:)

Sharon said...

I just happened by via fresh from the farm.
I enjoyed reading your blog.
I also like a parade and I always have to get a picture of tractors for hubby and hot cars for grandsons.
Have a great weekend.

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying the festivities, Julie.

And you're so welcome for the book suggestions. I hope you'll find something new to enjoy. Reading has always been a must-do activity for me and I so enjoy finding the next great read. Historical fiction is a favorite, but I tend to read a little bit of everything eventually.

Maeve Binchy's books are among my all-time favorites. She's an Irish author and reading her books is like sitting around the kitchen table with good friends. She knows how to weave a tale.

Let us know what you find and have a fabulous weekend!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I learned something new today. Massachusetts has a Patriots Day Holiday - similar to your Pioneer Day.

I hope you enjoyed all the events!

hugs, Linda

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Me again. I just remembered another book series you might enjoy. It's written by Jane Kirkpatrick and begins with All Together in one Place. Kind of like Little House for grown-ups. I believe she has other series as well though I haven't checked those out just yet.

Carole said...

Hi Julie !
I've just caught up with the last 3 months of your blog, it's so nice to see all your beautiful projects, read about your daughters and what's going on in your corner of the world ! Take care !

Kindra-At Home With K said...

What a fun parade! I showed Kellon the man on the funny bike. He thought that was funny. :)

Jo-Anne said...

We had to miss that parade this year...we had to be back in AZ because Ragan stared school on that day....BUMMER!
I am glad girls camp was fun. I hope your baby gets to feeling 100% very soon! I love all your projects, too!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)
OXOX
Jo-Anne