
I attended a funeral yesterday. It was one of the sweetest services I have ever been to. My SIL'S mother died of Lou Gerhig's disease. She only had to endure it about 9 months, so that was a blessing for her.
Have you ever wondered what people would say about you at your funeral? I have. This fine lady had so many wonderful things said about her. She was a wife to the" love of her life", a mother of 7 children--5 boys and 2 girls, a foster parent ,and she has 27 grandchildren. Each of the seven children paid a short tribute to their Mom. They said things like: "she served EVERYONE ALL of the time, she loved her savior, Jesus Christ, she read her scriptures daily, she was organized, she had a warm and friendly smile, she loved roses, she had over 120 scrapbooks of family photos and momentos that she had lovingly made, she was always busy making something by hand for someone else, she loved children, she served 4 missions for our church with her husband--3 to Guatamala and 1 to Argentina, she basically lived and died gracefully."
Although funerals are not always enjoyable to attend, I come away with a greater desire to be a better person. Especially after I attend a funeral of someone who had lived such a good life. She was a choice daughter of God in every way, and she made her little corner of the world a better place in which to live. Her legacy will live on in her righteous and good posterity. All of whom have made good choices and are following her example of service and love for Jesus Christ.
I hope that my little corner of the world is better because I live in it. If not, I need to readjust some things and try a little harder. I hope to do just that.
Be nice to people,
Julie

9 comments:
Julie,
What a testimony and wonderful tribute to this Godly woman! I agree...it makes me want to be a better person. Thanks for this inspirational post!
Have a great weekend!
Tammy
Thank you for sharing this with us. We all can only hope to be thought of that way when we pass.
Take Care,
Debbie
I have been to funerals that make me feel that way too Julie. And I have indeed wondered what people will say. In my every day life, thankfully, I am not known for just my decorating and shopping, but still - it does make you wonder. And that is a good incentive to try harder isn't it?!! Great post! I love thoughtful introspective ones like this. Thanks for sharing!
hugs, Linda
That was really a great post! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)
Hi Julie
Your SIL's mother sounds like a generous, loving, kind, caring and hard working woman who had a deep love for her family. What a blessing that she has touched your life and in turn others in such a profound way. I have to say, I have not ever pondered what people would say about me, once I had left this earth. But, I am constantly reevaluating my life and working on the aspects of it that I can improve.
Julie, from what I do know of you through your blog, you do make the world a better place. I certainly look forward to visitng you here and always enjoy stopping by.
Love
Elise
What a lovely post Julie! I'm so happy to know you!
Hugs, Kimberly
When funerals are for young people or parents with young children it is always sad. But I love funerals. It is teaching about the things that are the most important and the gospel at its purist. Most of the things we slog around doing day to day don't matter. And a funeral highlights the things in life that mean the most.
How lovely! What a goal-to basically live and die gracefully. Wonderful post Julie:)
All I could think of while reading your post was "Each life that touches ours for good....." Thanks so much for sharing the inspiration! Jewel
Post a Comment