In Utah, there is a campaign called "The Truth--a campaign for tobacco free youth." Fourth and fifth graders in the state of Utah can enter a contest in 3 categories, creating and writing something to promote a tobacco free world!! The contestants can enter a radio idea, a billboard idea or an idea for a tv commercial. Rebecca wrote a tv commercial idea and turned it in. She asked everyday if her prize package had come--no, I would say, thinking, that it most likely won't EVER come, but not wanting to be negative.
Long story, short...there were 7,088 entries for the contest and 10 kids were chosen--Rebecca happened to be one of them!! AMAZING!!! So, Saturday night we got to go to a banquet where she would find out what she had won.
Rebecca will remember this experience forever, and most importantly, I think she will make the decision to be tobacco-free her whole life. The owner of the company who started the campaign 12 years ago, said he did it because his own father died of lung cancer from smoking, and he wanted to make a difference so that others wouldn't choose to smoke. He asks kids to write the commercials because kids listen to other kids, and the average age of someone who starts to smoke is 13!! Anyway, it was great experience!! It's nice to see our kids succeed!! Hope your Monday is marvelous.
Be Nice to People,
Julie

18 comments:
Way to go Rebecca! What great news!
Julie, Emily got Savanna's letter today... so there will be a reply soon! Thanks! Kimberly
Congrats to Rebecca...way to go girl...
that is awesome...very beautiful young
lady...
Prim Blessings...
Tonja
How cool for her! And you too, mom!
XXDenise
It's a wonderful experience for Rebecca. Such a neat program and 1st place out of all the entries. Cograts to you both.
Rhonda
Oh My Gosh! That is so exciting!
What a great accomplishment!
To Rebecca I say "You Go Girl!" and to Mom and Dad I say, that the two of you raised a very conscience young lady!
Congratulations to everyone!
Julie ~
What a wonderful accomplishment for Rebecca. I'm sure you and your husband are so proud of her. Way to go, Rebecca. She's such a doll, too.
Pam
Awesome Rebecca! That is certainly something to be proud of! Great job!!
Congratulations Rebecca!!!! How awesome, you must be so proud of her!!! Have a wonderful week!~Wendy
That is so awesome. Congrats to Rebecca.
AWESOME! Be sure to let us know when they film the commercial - and hopefully I'll be able to see it on TV here in Utah!
weeeee haaaaa!! congrats.
How wonderful! Congrats, Rebecca!
Have a great day, Julie :)
Leslie
Wow! That is so amazing!! 1st PLACE!!! You must be one proud mama. She's adorable, thank you for sharing. I'm glad there are programs like that out there.
Congratulations Rebecca! That is totally awesome! You must be so very proud of her. :)
Take Care,
Debbie
That is seriously cool! I'd LOVE to see her commercial when it's made. Bravo Rebecca!
Congratulations Rebecca! You are so talented! I'd love to see the commercial and hear what you are going to do with your prize money!
How wonderful - way to go!!
Tell Rebecca thank you! I hope her commercial causes more kids not to smoke and their parents to stop because they are FORCING their kids to inhale that smoke which is often worse than smoking yourself. As the mom of a young man who died from asthma I want her to know that she is really important! People who have good lungs don't often GET what being unable to breathe really feels like. Kids that have lung issues are often unable to do so much. I am continually hounding the people in the gov't here in MI to stop smoking in public areas; I often cannot eat in some restaurants because of the smoke! I cringe because I see young and older children sitting in that haze; coming to the restaurant in cars filled with smoke and I wonder why that isn't called child abuse with all we know about second hand smoke. MAybe I should get Rebecca to come on over here and help me with these lawmakers. You are a very lucky mom (and I'll bet she gets her talent and spunk from you)Way to go Rebecca! Keep up the good word! ( I have seen some of the commercials and hope I will get to see hers)
Post a Comment