Thursday, May 21, 2009

My New Best Friend

Yes, my new best friend is this water container and the water that goes in it!! It goes everywhere I go. It starts out cold and full in the morning and is warm and empty by the end of the day.
Why you may ask, is this my new best friend? Well, when the doctor diagnosed me with kidney stones, he suggested that I drink 8- 8oz. glasses of water(or more) a day in the prevention of getting more stones. So, I am trying really hard to be diligent about it!! I actually have felt better and really do have more energy. It was wierd though because the first week of drinking so much water, my face broke out with acne like I was a teen-ager. I think a lot of toxins were leaving my body through my face.

I found some interesting facts about water:
* A human is about 67% water.

* A chicken is about 75% water.

* A pineapple is about 80% water.

* The human brain is about 85% water.

* Human blood is about 79% water.

* Human teeth contain about 10% water.

* Every cell needs water.

* Adults need 8 to 12 glasses of drinking water daily.

* In the U.S., 75% of us are chronically dehydrated.

* A 2 percent drop in body water can cause fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and trouble focusing on your computer screen or a printed page.

* Losing 4 to 5 percent of your body’s water makes your work performance drop by 20 to 30 percent.

* Lack of water is the #1 cause of daytime tiredness.

* Dehydration can occur in any season.

* Older bodies have proportionately less water than younger bodies.

* Children lose proportionately more water sweating than do adults.

* Athletes can lose 4 or 5 quarts of water in one practice session.

* Drinking water is non-fattening.

* Small sips of water over your day are better than drinking down a whole glass or two at one time.

* Too much water in too short a time can cause illness or death.

* Water absorbs shock to vital organs in the human body.

* Water protects human eyes.

* Travel increases your need for drinking water

.* Exercise increases your need for drinking water.

* Your food can provide about 3 cups of water daily.

* Over an average lifespan, a human takes in more than 16,000 gallons of water.

* If you are dieting, you can stop midnight hunger pangs with one glass of water instead of food.
Hope you enjoyed meeting my new best friend. Hope water is a friend to you, too :)!! Guess I better go have a swig...
Be Nice to People,
Julie

14 comments:

Jessica said...

Neat facts Mom! They made me thirsty... I think I will go have a swig myself. ;)

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

I'm a water girl too!

Have a wonderful weekend with your family, my sweet friend...

Sara said...

I am a huge water drinker - 2-3 Liters a day! I have several big glasses with lids that go everywhere with me!

Those are some great facts! Enjoy your new friend!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Me too...I'm up to four bottles a day which I put in a container that I bought at weight watchers:) The benifits are wonderful aren't they:)
Rondell

Val said...

I am going to pour me a glass of water. You made me thirsty! Thanks for sharing this. I for sure need to drink more.

Elise said...

Hi Julie

I am a water sipper. I have sips throughout the day, especially when I am sitting here on my computer.

Enjoy your new best friend and all of the associated benefits.

Love
Elise

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I am a huge water drinker too! I can tell if I don't get enough now.

I get my bee skeps at different prim shops and garden shops in the area. I know a lot of people have trouble finding them and have orderd them here... thier prices are comparable to what I pay - but then the shipping adds up.
http://www.origincrafts.com/outdoors---garden-bee-skeps---traps.html

Keep in mind they only last so many years out in the elements too.

Have a great weekend Julie!!

hugs, Linda

Janene said...

That is so interesting about the acne part of drinking water!
But it makes sense!
Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

andersons said...

I have to agree with everyone else- that made me thirsty! Keep up the drinking- I hear kidney stones are terrible.

Anonymous said...

Julie, Thanks so much for stopping by! I am really glad she found a nice place to live and am still hoping she will come back to this side of the USA at some point! I just spent a little time reading some of your recent blogs, I am a water drinker too but wasnt aware of all the water facts, thanks for that! How cool that your daughter took a first place finish in that contest! $300 pretty exciting, good for her! i will stop back again real soon. We are on our way to Alabama in an hour or so for a week vaca, woohoo, lol. Have a wonderful holiday weekend! And if you see Nikki, she just got a job at Market STreet Grille, in SLC, lol, give her a big hug from me! THanks, Sue

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Drink, Drink, Drink! I was so worried about you and I'm glad to see that all you have to do is dring water now. Hope that helps. I guess we all could drink more. Have a great weekend, Julie! Hugs.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Thanks so much for sharing these facts. I had given up soda pop a couple years ago but switched to juices. While I ocasionally drink juice, my fave drink is water.
Interesting about dehydration causing exhaustion and slow thinking. I can see that!

Anonymous said...

I love water :)

Matt said...

Lovely facts! I love drinking water. Oh, and where did you get your jug? I need one.... :)