Friday, January 9, 2009

Smile and say Hello

TGIF!!! WHEW...what a week. I thought I would leave you all with a nice thought for the weekend. My BIL sent this to my hubby. It's great. (It didn't really happen to him, but is a thought he found).

"During my second month of college, our professor gave us a pop quiz. I was a conscientious student and had breezed through the questions until I read the last one: "What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?" Surely this was some kind of joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times. She was tall, dark-haired and in her 50s, but how would I know her name? I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank. Just before class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our quiz grade. "Absolutely," said the professor. "In your careers, you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say "hello." I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her name was Dorothy."

Food for thought....folks, smile and say Hello!! Have a nice weekend, everyone.
Also, thanks to Jennifer for this nice award. I can honestly say that you, my blog friends, are all "Lemonande" makers, so take this award with my sincerity.

Be nice to people,
Julie

12 comments:

basketsnprims said...

Julie, what wonderful food for thought, though I say hi to everybody. Simon thinks I'm crazy cuz I carry on conversations with store clerks, people at the drs. office, everywhere I go. He just laughs at me. Have a wonderful weekend, my friend.
By the way, did you find that mercantile gath. pattern?

Pam

Time to Blog It Up! said...

Julie where do you find the energy to do all the things you do, you wear me out just reading them all. So tell me what thrift stores you hang out at, I want to go! I need you to come and spend the day with me at my home and just spruce it up, or me. Thanks for being my friend. Tamee♥

Kathi said...

Thank you Julie for sharing this. I loved this. It makes me really think about people and how each one of us matters. I popped over from Carla's blog. Have a great weekend. Kathi

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Wise words, indeed. I try hard to do that very thing ...

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend! You've earned it!

Kimberly said...

Wonderful story and I'm sure we could all learn from it... um, what was your name again...?

;)

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I have seen that story too and it is so worth repeating. Everyone deserves out respect!

Have a great weekend!

Elise said...

Wouldn't the world be a happier place if everyone treated each other with such respect.

Thank you for sharing these wise words.

Love
Elise

Carla said...

What a wonderful reminder to ask others names, and use them with kindness! We had a new Stake Counselor that decided he was going to learn everyone's names. MANY years later this man still knows our names, and uses them with kindness, and it really makes you feel important:)

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Thanks, Julie!
Have a great weekend!

Farmchick said...

Wonderful story and ohhhhh soooo true! Have a great day!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hi Julie,

The heart pillow is my own desighn, the crow pillow was a gift many years ago and the other patterns were give to me as copies by a friend so I am not sure where they were from. I would love more patterns for little pillows too so I need to look online. There are no shops near me at all.

I hope your week is off to a great start!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Great story, Julie! Isn't that the truth. My husband sometimes asks why I smile while I'm driving and I tell him that the person passing me might only see that one smile today and might really need it. Its so important to just love people, isn't it?

Smiles,
Lea