I hear the word Tradition, and I always think of "Fiddler on the Roof." Traditions at Christmas time are great. We have a few that we do that I would like to share.

We always read the Christmas story from the scriptures on Christmas eve. Some years we have acted it out, too. We also sing some of the Christmas hymns from our hymn book.

We have a stocking for Jesus hanging on our mantel with our other stockings. Each year on Christmas Eve we write goals(gifts), on a slip of paper, that we want to give to Jesus throughout the year. Some of the gifts might include saying personal morning and evening prayers everyday , learning a new skill, serving others in the neighborhood or family, daily scripture study, kindness, no gossip, being tolerant of siblings, etc. We put the slips of paper in the stocking and then look at them the next year to see if we gave our gift to Jesus the best we could. It really helps us focus on the true meaning of gift giving.

We have a service star that we use. Anyone in the family can do a random act of service for someone else in the family. When they do the service, like making a bed or unloading the dishwasher for someone, they leave the service star. It is a favorite for our family. It is used all month long!!

Each year we do the 12 days of Christmas for a family, widow, widower, or anyone whom we feel needs a little Christmas cheer. We keep it very hush, hush.

We visit Temple Square in SLC to see the lights and take in the sights and sounds of the season. It is so beautiful and magical there. We went Sunday night and there was no snow. Today we received about 4 inches. It is so white and Christmas-sy!! These are a few of the traditions we share as a family during the Christmas season. Share yours if you would like to.
Be Nice to People,
Julie
17 comments:
Julie, you never cease to amaze me with your never ending love and generosity. What wonderful traditions you do with your family! Now my mind is racing on ideas on what I can do with my family for the Christmas season. They are all just wonderful ideas! Thanks for sharing!
I love the idea of Jesus's stocking what a great way to keep track of what we truley want to do.
Rondell
What wonderful, wonderful ideas for sharing. I especially love the stocking for Jesus and the service star! I also borrowed the poem, and am going to hang it on my fridge to remind me each day to keep Christ first in Christmas. Thank you for sharing!
What wonderful Christmas traditions! I especially love the Service Star idea!! My hubby and I don't have any kids yet but I might start the tradition anyway, to give us practice. The family photo at the end is truly amazing -what an amazingly blessed family you have!
you have to be one of the sweetest people i 'know'...really.
i love the service star idea.
i love the 12 days of christmas...hushidy hush.
oh and the jesus stocking...how nice is that!!!
you have such a beautiful family.
{and it's nice to put a face with your blog.}
:D
Such wonderful traditions, Julie! And a gorgeous family photo!
You are an inspiration, my friend!
I love the way you are teaching your girls it's better to give then to receive! I love all of your traditions Julie, I can so feel the love you have for others and its very touching! I love you Jesus stocking its a wonderful idea!!! You are such a beautiful family inside and out! Have a great day my friend!~Wendy
I love the service star idea! What teriffic traditions you have with your family.
What a fantastic family picture!
These are some great traditions, Julie. The Jesus stocking....wonderful.
Have a great day!
Great family picture and some awesome traditions!
I love, and may use yours:)
How Christ centered:)
Beautiful family!
It's my first visit here...love your blog and Christmas traditions. We have Fiddler on the roof and I think of that too when I hear the word Tradition. : ) We always read the true Christmas story from the Bible and sing carols. We also read Twas the night before on Christmas eve. We love Operation Christmas Child program ran by Franklin Graham.
Fabulous traditions and wonderful memories you are making for your family. I applaud you.
the 12 days....that just reminded me...i need to get going on ours.
Julie, I just love those traditions ~ especially the Jesus stocking. I would love to add that to our family traditions as well. Just beautiful!
Your family is so precious. I just love seeing you surrounded by your sweet girls and dear husband. True blessings!
Thank you for sharing your traditions and your heart.
Blessings,
Lea
I was so touched reading about your stocking for Jesus. When I was little it was always our tradition to put up an extra stocking "For Baby Jesus". Your post brought back so many great memories! Thanks!
Post a Comment