I had my 5 nieces and nephews ranging in age from 2-12, draw a picture for their mom, and also trace their hands. They drew with fabric markers, and then I used fusible web to adhere the cute, little handprints!! I put the saying, "A Mom holds a child's hands for a little while...their hearts forever", in the lower right hand corner. I am so excited to give it to her. I think she will love it because the kids did such a delightful job on the pictures.
Today I was thinking that I wish I ONLY had "Visions of Sugar Plums Dancing in my Head", instead of buying a new van(the transmission went out ), replacing the water heater or its parts(no hot water), and getting a new computer monitor(no image on ours), and a few other stress causers that life sometimes sends our way.
I then pulled myself together because as I thought these thoughts, my two older girls were headed out the door to go help at the homeless shelter this afternoon, with the other youth from our ward.(church). I thought to myself--"Stop WORRYING about THINGS---you have a warm, comfortable, lovely home, you have a van--to get replaced, you have a water heater--even if the water isn't hot and you have a computer, even if it isn't working right at the moment. There are others who are just praying for and wishing for basic needs--like food, shelter, water and LOVE!!!" I have MUCH more than the basics, and I need to be grateful for that. Christmas time this year has been a little stressful with all that we've had to deal with, but I have the LOVE of a wonderful extended family and their prayers in our behalf, my beautiful, good girls, and loving, understanding husband. Most importantly, I have our Savior, Jesus Christ--our hope, our light and the giver of the greatest gift of all. How grateful I am for that!!
Merry Christmas everyone!! I hope your time together with family and loved ones is tender and memorable, and that we all take time to reflect on the blessings and gifts in our lives!
Be Nice to People,
Julie

9 comments:
NOW THAT is inspiration Julie!! It seems we all need something fixed, repaired or replaced and it can be a bummer, but what your girls are doing puts it into perspective huh?!!
I want to wish you and yours a blessed and Merry Christmas and thank you for welcoming me into your world through your blog! hugs, Linda
Hope you have a blessed and very Merry Christmas! L♥ve and hugs :) Shauna
I just love the quilt, Julie!!!! A real treasure! And I loved the Sunbonnet Sue quilt, too. No wonder you won!
I do pray you and your family have a really blessed Christmas!
Big Hugs! Cora
What a beautiful, thoughtful, and touching gift, Julie! The sentiment is wonderful.
I hope that you and yours will rejoice in each other and all of your many blessings this Christmas -- recent frustrations aside.
Merry Christmas, my sweet friend!
Julie, I love that quilt, it is just awesome. I will have to consider doing that when I have grandchildren a little bit older. I'm happy to have gotten to know you a little this year. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Hugs,
Pam
When it rains, it pours. Bad things happen in threes!
You are so right. Our problems are minor compared to so many others. My husband has a job. We have a home. We have food and we have love. God is so good to us.
Your daughters are to be praised for their work with the needy. Too many young people are all self-involved. I am proud of them!
Best wishes for the holidays!:)
Speaking on behalf of your SIL, she is going to LOVE it!! What a wonderful piece she will cherish for many years to come. I am always amazed by your work.
Sorry to hear about your bumps in the road. I know what you mean, we tend to feel sorry for ourselves when things get in our way...but we are so blessed with a warm home, food to eat and our health. That's so great your daughters are helping out with the homeless during this holiday season.
Merry Christmas! Hugs from NE!
Julie
What a beautiful and priceless gift you have made for your SIL. She will cherish this creation you put together for her.
Giving and helping others certainly does have a very special way of putting things into perspective. What a gift it is to have perspective in your life, it turns everyday things that could be seen as drudgery into delightful tasks.
Wishing you and your beautiful family a joyous Christmas filled with happy family rituals.
Lots of love and hugs
Elise
That's really putting things into clear perspective, Julie! I had a similar eye-opening experience yesterday. The story is too sad to retell but let me tell you, it knocked me right into clearer thinking and realizing the challenges I'm facing are minor compared to those of so many others. Just have to grab every moment of joy and climb the mountain!
Your quilt turned out so pretty. That is a keeper and I know she will LOVE it!
Smiles,
Lea
Post a Comment