Wednesday, November 26, 2008

See what God has done

Here are some words that have gone through my head ALL day:
"When upon life's billows you are tempested-tossed, when you are discouraged, thinking all is lost, count your many blessings; name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done. Count your blessings; name them one by one. Count your blessings; see what God hath done. "
These are the words to one of our hymns. I love them. I have been counting my blessings throughout the day as I've done things. Like, I'm thankful for a warm shower, our dishwasher, a broom, the cd player, make-up, hairspray, our van, friends, birthdays, children, energy, the sky, things that smell good, soup in the crockpot, laughter, games, my eyesight, sewing machine, and etc, etc. These are all wonderful blessings. But, most of all I'm so grateful for my husband, children, extended family, home, and my knowledge of a Savior who died and atoned for me so that I can live with him again. It really is surprising to think of our blessings. We have this Giving Thanks book. Each year for the last 10 or so years, each person at Thanksgiving dinner , has written down what they are thankful for. It is a great traditon and it has been interesting to go back and read.

Here are the pages ready to go for this year. We are having dinner with my side of the family--I can't wait to see what everyone writes this year. There will be 22 of us ranging in age from 2 to 81!!! It's a great time. Hoping you all have a wonderful, happy Thanksgiving. I'll be back next week with pictures of Christmas!! Be blessed!!

Be Nice to People,

Julie

16 comments:

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

I so do relate to your list of blessings!!:0)I hope you and your family have a very Blessed Thanksgiving!! God Bless!!~Wendy

{lauren} said...

God is so good with the many blessings he gives to each of us:) I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful! <3Lauren

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family:)
Rondell

Farmchick said...

Now I am going to have Count Your Blessings in my head all night!!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Sandy said...

Oh I can not wait to see some pictures next week.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with all your family and friends. What great memories!!!

Alecia Merłowicz Morris said...

Hi Julie,

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving and many, many, family memories. Hugs and kisses to all of you from all of us.

Sue said...

One of my favorite hymns and oh so true about counting your blessings. I am greatful for so many things, way to many to name. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy time with your family. Thats a blessing in and of itself.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

We too are counting our blessings this year! I hope you and your family have a blessed and bountiful Thanksgiving Day!! hugs, Linda

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

That is one hymn I've known since I was knee high to a grasshopper!!!! Counting blessings is one sure way of coming to realize ALL we have so blessed with, isn't it???!!!!!

LOVE the idea of the Thanksgiving book! What a wonderful tradition you hve started with that! Hope you have a wonderful day today!!!!

Cora

Carla said...

What a neat book! Count your blessings is one of my most favorite songs too, and I love having a whole holiday to think about that! Thank you for sharing, and I wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday!

Carin said...

Julie I hope your Thanksgiving was fantastic. I love that hymn too.

Paula said...

I just found your blog through "Just Us Quilters". We do have much to be thankful for. I think your book is a wonderful idea. Sometimes, looking back on things you were thankful for in another period of time can show real growth in your life.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I love the idea of the giving thanks book. What a great tradition and reminder of thanksgivings past...

Sarah said...

Hi Julie, What a great post. Sometimes that is all we need to do.

P.S. I love that picture!

Elise said...

Hi Julie

Taking time out to reflect on your blessings certainly puts a positive spin on your life.

I love the tradition of having a book where all your Thanksgiving guests record what they are thankful for. A beautiful, personal keepsake to transport you back in time through many Thanksgiving dinners.

Last night I just finished making a new tradition that we are going to start with our family during the Christmas season and the basis of it relies on taking the time to reflect on all that we have to be thankful for and giving. Ahhh, gratitude and giving, two things that bring so much joy into our lives. Fingers crossed, I am hoping to do a post on my blog tonight about our new tradition.

Lots of love
Elise

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Julie, I was just singing that song today. It is such a beautiful reminder.

Thank you so much for the thankfulness book idea. I think that is such a wonderful way to remember the blessings of each year. I will definately make one for our family to use beginning this year.

Smiles,
Lea