Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thoughts for Thursday--Handmade Gifts



Handmade Gifts
Delivered By: Lloyd D. Newell


"In today’s world of mass production, handmade items are more meaningful than ever. Beyond being well-crafted, original workmanship, they can be manifestations of love, personal evidence of our care and concern.
Think how heartwarming original drawings and less-than-perfect handwriting on a homemade card can be. Smell rolls fresh out of the oven, rather than in packages that preserve their shelf life; feel the warmth of a quilt that’s been pieced together one square at a time, hour after hour, day by day; touch the smooth finish on a handmade toy car—and you feel a connection with the person who made it. In every stitch, in every cut, in every shaping of such handiwork, is a little bit of its creator.
A newly married woman found extra meaning in a handmade wedding gift, a blanket that had been crocheted by her elderly friend. Fingering the loops of yarn, the bride counted 108 blue and white squares and smiled at the thought of her friend resting the blanket across her feeble knees as she crocheted. The blanket was more than a warm covering to the young woman; it was a tangible reminder of her friend’s love.
Whether a hand-sewn blanket or a handwritten note, such homemade items are filled with the human touch. Their mass-produced counterparts, though sometimes just as beautiful, don’t represent the same kind of time, effort, and care. Just as “the heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament [showeth] his handywork,” our creations can tell of our love for those most dear to us. Sometimes, generations later, a family member or friend might still enjoy the work of our hands and think of the person who cared enough to make it. "

Thinking of all you, my blog friends, who care enough to make it!!
Be nice to People,
Julie

8 comments:

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Right back at ya, Julie! I agree that it's the handmade gifts that are truly priceless. They are so rich in meaning, thought, and love.

Thanks again for the lovely reminder, my sweet friend...

Love the new pumpkin layout!

Becky said...

Julie,
What an absolutely wonderful reminder in your post. I loved reading it - I hope it is okay with you to repost it on my blog.

I also love your blog layout! How wonderfully fall and festive. I love it!!

{lauren} said...

That is such a nice reminder. Even though they may not be the most convenient gifts, handmade things are often worth so much more than even the most expensive thing bought at a store. Thanks for a great post:) And I also love your new layout..the pumpkins are too cute! <3 Lauren

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Love the new look, Julie!

Well as you know, I love to handmake items. Even better if they are for someone I love. I love the messages you bring to us every Thursday. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

Rosemary said...

Great post Julie!
I love the boo crew stitchery too!
Thanks for sharing,
Blessings,
Rosemary

Time to Blog It Up! said...

I loved this post...It just goes perfect with you and your home...thanks for sharing. Have a great day...i also really loved your pumpkin layout, so cute...just like you! Tamee

Farmchick said...

I love this post....it is true..handmade gifts are so heartfelt and special. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
~Tania

Katy said...

Handmade gifts are TRULY the BEST and my favorite thing to receive!!! I love to give them too! :)

I love the look of your blog! It looks fantastic and perfect for Autumn! :)