Here is a fun recipe using a pumpkin---my kids love this dinner!!
Dinner In A Pumpkin
1 small to medium pumpkin
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbls. vegetable oil
1 1/2 to 2 lbs. ground beef
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1 (4 0z. ) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 can cream-of-chicken soup
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 (8 0z.) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
Cut off the top of pumpkin and thoroughly clean out seeds and pulp. Paint a face on the front of the pumpkin with a permanent marker. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, saute' onions in oil until tender. Add meat and brown. Drain drippings from skillet. Add soy sauce, brown sugar, mushrooms and soup. Simmer 10 min. Add cooked rice and water chestnuts. Spoon mixture into the cleaned pumpkin shell. Replace pumpkin top and place entire pumpkin, with filling, on a baking sheet. Bake 1 hour( longer if necessary). Remove lid and serve. Can use pumpkin for vegetable if desired.
Don't you just love Fall??
Be Nice to People,
Julie

14 comments:
HOW FUN!! Julie,I was told to cut some of the big leaves back to let the pumpkins get more sun and let the air circulate so they don't stay wet from the morning dew. It helps to prevent rotting I was told when we grew pumpkins years ago. We had so many one year, the ckids and I drew faces on some and donated them to a local nursing home. It was great to see the faces on the folks who normally had no holiday decor because thier families forgot them. Thanks for sparking those memories!
i love that dinner!!
You grew a mighty fine pumpkin patch there...they look great! Now just don't forget to watch charlie browns the great pumpkin patch...or something like that/ lol I did not do as well...only one little pumpkin for some reason...oh well there is always next year...have a great day too. tamee
Wow! Twenty-eight pumpkins?! My kids would be beside themselves with excitement! What a wonderful fall treasure trove of goodies. I can't wait to see what you do with them all...
And to answer your question, I just stuff my ornies with the fiberfil type stuffing. The kids actually "helped" me stuff the pumpkins and candy corn. So sweet.
Have a great night and thanks for the recipe too. What fun!
Love your pumkins! I always say I am gonna grow some....I never do! Maybe next year! Good luck with thw sales! Beth
I love it Julie! I also say every year that I'm going to plant some but never do...I think it's to shady around here though.
Love the idea of cooking the pumpkin what a great idea.
Rondell
You have a great pumpkin patch :) Jeremy throws our pumpkin seeds up in the woods every year hoping they will take off and we have no luck. However, others we know don't want pumpkins and end up with lots! LOL
The recipe sounds interesting and fun. I'll have to look for cheap pumpkins and try it!
Of course you can copy the quilt idea :) I wasn't sure what you meant and assumed it was the quilt that you could see underneath my squares! LOL I have to do some research. I bought blue plaid homespun today that I'm thinking about putting in between each square. At first I thought about doing several colors of fabric but maybe that would take away from the squares? I picked blue because it's my favorite. I haven't ever tried a real quilt, just rag and some really tiny squares that I didn't really put together in layers like quilts are. We'll see....
Have a great rest of your night!
Julie,
Me again :) I actually picked my own size for the squares. I thought they were too small myself. Some of my top squares were also cut off because of how the bag was printed but I just drew it in there.
Honestly, none of the blocks are exactly like what's on the bag. I just used the idea for inspiration but drew my OWN things on it. Like I made the star but added a button and a hang tag that says STAR on it. The sheep on the bag is just a sheep and I added the flag in behind it for more color and interest. The word blocks, I changed Friends to Family and I wrote those out how I wanted, not exactly how they were on the bag. When I get this all laid out, I may even decide to do a few more squares with other Prim items. I'm not sure yet. I very rarely follow something to the T, that's why I don't really have patterns for anything! LOL
Hope that helps :)
Leslie
I'm determined to have at least a pumpkin patch next year! I love having lots of pumpkins outside to decorate with. And I kick myself when I pay too much for them. You sure have been blessed!
Gosh! That's a lot of pumpkins!That is so fun! And that dinner...well, one of my faves!
We had to stop planting pumpkins (and watermelon, for that matter) in our garden because once they got about as big as a soccor ball our dog would EAT them! ALL of them! He is so funny! He still loves to eat watermelon...only now we just give him little bites!
I LOVE (and miss!) Utah in the fall. :):):)
Looks yummy! I love fall and pumpkins too! Have a wonderful day!
Awesome, I do pumpkins every year. This year I got 1/2 dozen, but I do the pumpkin pie ones, so that is a good amount for me!
I'm so happy for you, Julie. I just love how they look like they're playing hide & seek under those leaves.
Yes, I too love fall.
Smiles,
Lea
Nice pumpkin patch & your meal sounds delicious. I love all your projects you've been getting finished. I'm adding you to my blog list.
Pam
Post a Comment