Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thoughts for Thursday

Since Monday is Labor Day. I found some quotes on the value of a work ethic:

"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary."
"Success depends on your backbone, not your wishbone."
"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."---Henry Ford
"The Three Rules of Work:
1. Out of clutter, find simplicity
2. From discord, find harmony
3. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity"
~~~~~~~~Albert Einstein
Gotta love people who like to work. Speaking of work, and since it's Labor Day weekend, and my husband has a 4 day weekend off from "regular" work , we are GOING TO WORK. Now, my husband goes to work everyday for pay, but this is work done for me, so that means...it's for free. I LOVE HIM LOTS!!
Let the work begin...this is a picture of our carpet. I posted about this back in April or May when our dog spilled a quart of oil into the carpet. We are ripping it up, and replacing it...with laminate wood.WAHOO!!! The process begins today....
This is our kitchen linoleum. It is also getting replaced. It is soooo hard to mop and keep clean. 1. It is white 2. It has ridges. I think I have mopped it over 400 times--really(I did the math).
This is the rest of the kitchen. The rug looks nice, but it is there because it covers this:
Isn't that nice? A slash in the linoleum covered with duct tape!!

So, our basement has been storing the laminate wood for a few weeks(we bought it when we did because we saved a lot of $$$$$). There are 25 cases---now, that equals work--lots of it!! So glad my hubby and I are not afraid of work.(thanks Mom and Dad). In fact, it is invigorating and satisfying. Nothing like falling into bed dead tired because you have worked----HARD!!

So, I will post the end results when I have them. As for now, the computer has to be shut off and removed, so the floor can be laid. So my good friends, have a safe, a productive, and a successful LABOR day weekend. I have to "Get to Work."

Be Nice to People,

Julie

20 comments:

Carla said...

Yea you! I mean yea your husband!! Please post follow up pictures! Congrats on the new floors!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Oh, Julie -- how exciting that you are putting in some new flooring this weekend!!! That's my kind of work. Just think of how easy it will be to clean and how pretty it will be to admire. I can't wait to see the "after" shots...

All the best, my friend!

Becky J. said...

yay for you!!! i love the wood and so will you. it changes the whole feel of everything. bring on more country....

Raggedy Angel said...

You will love your new floor..that is what we have.
Yes you need to Mercantile Gatherings...it is well worth it!
Beth

Something Nice and Pretty said...

You will love it, I know I do! it will make such a difference.
Have a great holiday weekend!
Rondell

Catty Wampus said...

I swear Julie that kitchen floor looks just like mine!!! And I hate it!!!! Wish I could tear it up right now! I love your stitchery; they are beautiful; don't work too hard; Ill be waiting to see the new floor!!! Have fun! Merrie

Russ D said...

Very excited to hear you are finally doing the laminate floor. Are you getting the beveled edges like ours? Remember to have Bret get knee pads as I didn't when I did ours and regretted it for quite a few days later. Can't wait to see the final pictures.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

That's wonderful, Julie! I'm so glad for you...and I know what you mean about enjoying work. I love working together on a project to accomplish a goal! Thank the Lord for hubbies that are the same!

We'll miss you...have fun and can't wait to see it!

Tammy

Melanie said...

Just key your eye on that finished floor... You're going to love it.

Jo-Anne said...

It's going to be wonderful once it's done! Can't wait to see the photos!

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Oh can't wait to see your new floor!!!!

Mary

Time to Blog It Up! said...

Work, wow how do you get your husband to work at your house. I think it loods like you are going to have a very busy, but fun week-end. good luck. Tamee

Carole said...

Ah, work... the dreaded work when we were young, and the most important thing my life is made of now !! When we used to say "I'm cold" our mum replied "Start working and you'll get warm". We rolled our eyes. My ancestors used to say (my father told us) "Get some work done, so that you shouldn't get any stupid ideas in your head". We thought "How stupid..." And now I couldn't agree more !!! I love to get a sense of accomplishment and see things progressing, and doing things for my family. And to finish in the same "as the saying goes" field, I'll quote "Idleness is the mother of all vices".
Enjoy your new floors and have a nice Labor Day week-end !

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Julie, I can't wait to see the new flooring. Labor day weekend and weekends in general are usual work for us too. :) Don't really know what our plans are quite yet. Have a great weekend!

Black Sheep Lisa said...

OH i cant wait to see your new floor, I just know you are gonna love it!!

Kimmie said...

Hi Julie!

Well you will have an absolutely beautiful floor when it gets finished. "Good things come to those who wait"...it will be SO GOOD!!! :-)

I have finished and listed my Witch Hats along with a few other Fall items. The link is in my post. Thank You for sticking with me through a very long ordeal of illness within my family members and then me. I was the little train that could, and I did! I am so happy to be rolling along now. There will be more to come in the next week, lots of brand new patterns I never even opened. All starting bid of $1.99. I paid up to $12.00 for some of these.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Hugs,
Kimmie

Catty Wampus said...

Hi Julie; I hope you are also having some fun this weekend; I left you an award on my blog; hope you like it! Merrie

Elise said...

Hi Julie

There certainly is something satisfying about falling into bed and being worn out because of a hard days work.

I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labour with your new flooring.

Lots of love
Elise

Katy said...

OH!!! how exciting! It will be fantastic looking!!! I can't WAIT to see it!!!! :)

Leslie said...

I can't wait to see your new floor! We did ours over the 4th of July and while we were both terribly exhausted it was SOOO worth it! I still smile when I see my new floor and think of all the time I spent vacuuming and scrubbing the old carpet...all gone!!!

Hope you're all done and resting by the time you read this....