Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thoughts for Thursday

My hubby and two oldest daughters just left for youth conference. They will gone until Saturday. Our church has a huge focus on the youth ALL the time. There are Sunday lessons, weekly activites, once-a-year actitivites--like girl's camp,scout camp, and youth conference,dances, conferences at universites all over the world, the seminary program, and firesides. I'm sure I have forgotten something. I know Heavenly Father LOVES the youth.
This year's theme for youth conference is B.O.O.T. Camp---B.O.O.T. standing for~~ Building Our Own Testimony...of Christ and his church. They are looking so serious in the pic, but you should have seen the giggly, smiling process to get that serious photo!!
The backs of the shirts. It is fun when all the youth and leaders dress somewhat the same because it stands for teamwork and unity--just like the real boot camp!! I'm so grateful they have the opportunity to do some good wholesome activities. I can't wait to hear their report when they return home. I think all parents want what's best for our kids. Here's a thought for today that I desire for my girls(and all young people) to internalize:
"Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do great and good and worthwhile things. Believe in the nature within you, the divine nature, that you are in very deed a son or daughter of the living God. There is something of divinity within you, something that stands high and tall and noble. Get above the dirt and the filth of the earth and walk on a higher plane with your heads up, believing in yourselves and in your capacity to act for good in the world and make a difference."
~~"Stand a Little Taller"-pg.160, by Gordon B. Hinckley
Be nice to people,
Julie

7 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What a great theme for camp!! They do look serious but I am betting they have an awesome time!!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

I hope they all have a wonderful time, Julie! Terrific thoughts as always...

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I love the quote you shared! Very inspiring! The BOOT camp sounds like fun! It's great that your church has such wonderful programs for the youth. My church has a great youth group and I'm glad my boys will be a part of it. Have a great evening!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

That sounds like so much fun! With those serious expressions, no one is going to mess with them.

Love that expression. It is so worthy of striving for.

Smiles,
Lea

Jo-Anne said...

This was the theme for our girls camp (that I missed!).
I hope they had a great time.

Carla said...

What cute shirts-the people that come up with the themes are very creative aren't they? You family looks 'tough'! Look out Satan-here come the Saints!

Shay said...

What a wonderful theme, I just love Gordon B. Hinkley's quotes, he always concentrated on the youth, reaching out to them to stand tall. Such monumental love he had. So awesome! I just LOVE the shirts! Youth Conference next to EFY was always one of my favorite times! Thanks for sharing pictures of your wonderful & beautiful family!