Tuesday, August 26, 2008

BE NICE TO PEOPLE....

Hello!! I am among the living--I think. This time of year for me is always a little bit of a struggle. School started Monday. The word school is associated with so many things-- new beginnings, tests, friends,books, teachers, drinking fountains, lunch, recess, assignments, language--appropriate and not, computers, bulletin boards, bulllies, programs, principal's office, backpacks, carpools, standing in line, being quiet, helping someone read, math, spelling, tears, A's, B's, C's, and hopefully not D's and F's, and the list goes on... I taught school for 3 years before having children of my own. I have now seen both the teacher's and the parent's perspective. My best observation is that no matter what side of the fence we sit, everyone just needs to be KIND--end of observation!! Wouldn't that be wonderful?
I cried yesterday as they all headed off for their new adventures. Look at their newborn pictures--they grow so fast!!
This is Karissa and Rebecca. Karissa is in first grade--that means school ALL day--sigh! That also means that I won't have someone home with me throughout the day--first time in 16 years!! Today she said, "Mom, I need you to come to school with me." "Why?" I reply. "Because I will worry about you." "Awwww!! Guess what, Rissy, I will just be home mopping the floor, doing laundry, and paying bills." I say. She gave me that--"Oh-that's-normal look". I'm sure she thought I would be fine after that!! Rebecca is my sensitive one. She has cried the first day of school since preschool. This year was no different. Tugs at my heart strings. She gets so nervous, but after the initial break- through, she does fabulous.

This is Savanna. She is in 7th grade and headed off to junior high. She did so well on her first day. I couldn't do what these kids have to do--it's a jungle out there. She tested high in math, so she was placed in a math class where she is the only 7th grader, all the rest are 8th graders--that stressed her some, but we had a long talk, and I know she will excel!!
This is Jessica. She is in 10th grade--her first year of high school. She has 4 honors classes--Math, English, World Civ, and Chemistry-doesn't that sound fun? She also has foods, guitar, Seminary, and Spanish III. She teaches 6 piano students, too. She turns 16 in a couple of months--that means dating and driving--sigh!! However, our youth are so strong and resilient. I am in awe of their integrity, values and goals. I remain optimistic for a wonderful future!!

As some of you may have noticed, I end each post with, "Be Nice to People." That's because each day as my girl's head out the door to school, I say, "Have a great day, I love you, and be nice to people." We all know what it feels like to be nice, and we all know what if feels like to have someone be nice to us. We, also, all know the opposite!! So.......
Be Nice to People,
Julie

11 comments:

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Wow what beautiful girls you have! It is very hard for us Moms when the youngest goes to school. My baby is in the fourth grade this year. My how time flies.

Mary

Kindra-At Home With K said...

What great first day of school photos!! Your girls sure sound like they good heads on their shoulders! And smart! They take after mom and dad.

Raggedy Angel said...

Wow you could start an all girl band....all so cute! Beth

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

As a teacher for 18 years, I could not agree more! We can make or break a child's spirit by how we treat them. Our goal at school was first to make each child feel good about SOMETHING each day and treat each other with kindness. The rest is secondary if we can't do that.

Your girls are all so pretty and sweet. I hope this school year is full of many good days for each of them!!

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

It looks and sounds like you and your husband are raising four strong, capable, smart, and caring young ladies, Julie. I love that -- especially in this day and age! I hope that they are all thriving!

I taught school for five years before making the decision to "stay home." Both jobs are a challenge and it makes me proud that my husband is still out there teaching and reaching out to kids. My true calling is right here though. No doubt about it!

Enjoy your bit of solitude and delight in those girls. They sure are something to smile about!

Have a good week, growing pains and all. School starts here on the 2nd...

Carin said...

Beautiful girls!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

What sweet first day of school photos! All your girls are beautiful and it sounds like they're both wise and smart! Great job from the parents! :) And what a wonderful thing to say to your kids everyday!

Blessings,
Tammy

Kelli said...

Your girls are beautiful and I hope they have a wonderful school year ahead!
~Kelli

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

that is so sweet--be nice to people. that has to make everyone your kids come in contact with very lucky. it puts things into perspective. thanks!~

Carole said...

Your daughters are really beautiful - and I don't just mean by appearances. They have a "positive outlook" and I guess they'll do really well during this schoolyear !

Leslie said...

I wasn't around last week so I'm just getting caught up...

School starts tomorrow for us. Shane is heading into 4th grade and my baby Aften is starting Kindergarten. It will be the first time in 9 1/2 years that I didn't have a kid at home all day with me. I cannot believe it but so far, so good. I keep thinking of the positive aspects like no kiddie shows on all day, only having to make lunch for me and I can go to the store whenever I want to with no complaints! LOL Aften is SOOO excited and happy so that's why I'm okay so far...we'll see tomorrow!