Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thoughts for Thursday

My niece is getting married today, so my Thoughts for Thursday are about that. Hope you have fond memories of YOUR day!!

What is a Bride?

A bride is a girl with a mother trailing behind her. She is an angel with rollers in her hair. She is the picture of calmness, yet she doesn't know which end is up. She is filled with happiness, yet she is holding back tears a great deal of the time. She holds forth bravely, yet a small glimpse of fear shows in her face. She dresses with speed, unlike any girl; but, or course, this is done with the help of at least three other people.


She's a small girl's idol, a teenager's dream, a younger woman's future, a mother's past, and an old maid's hope. No other person can smile quite so patiently at her father, scream quite so loudly at her brother, hold her sister's hand quite so tightly, and say more than a million words with one swift glance to her mother. Yes, she's scared and brave; worried and calm; impatient and patient; tearful and happy; and very much in love.


She is a woman with a halo over her head. And at last, when she looks at her beloved and says those magical words...she's a wife.


I hope this is how she and her new husband feel after years and years together...

When Grandpa Looks at Grandma
When Grandpa looks at Grandma,
Somehow he doesn't see
Her wrinkled brow, her hair white now--
Her aged serenity.


When
He doesn't see her falter
When night its darkness brings,
That she is slow, he'll never know--
Or any of those things.


When Grandpa looks at Grandma,
Somehow he doesn't hear
The broken tones that she now owns--
Her voice seems firm and clear.


Her eyes that smile warmly then,
Are faded blue and dim.
Though time has ranged, they have not changed
They look the same to him.


When Granpa looks at Grandma,
Forgetting she is old,
He sees his bride cling by his side--
Her hair is shining gold.


He sees her in the splendor
Of love that grows and grows.
If she is grey and bent today,
Grandfather never knows.

I hope it's a love-filled day for all!!

Be Nice to People,
Julie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful poem... dang... I teared up girl! How sweet. Congratulations to your family!

Shay said...

Congrats to your family. I hope they have an eternity of happiness and celestial glory. I just loved the poem, it was so sweet. I hope to think that way when my husband and I are Grandparents, I know my parents do.
Blessings,
Shay

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

As usual, you paint a beautiful picture, Julie. Congratulations to the new bride and groom on their big, eventful day. I hope they enjoy the journey...

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Congrats to your niece on her wedding day! How exciting. Your words and poem were perfect Julie! Hope you have a grand time at the wedding!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

That is beautiful, Julie! That was perfect for my day! Thanks for your sweet comments and wishes for our anniversary!

~ Tammy ~

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What a special day for your family! I wish the new couple many many happy years!

Tina said...

What a lovely post.
I love love stories
T