Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Homemade Tortillas

Hello!! Today is cold and wet and just Wednesday. I feel like tacos for dinner tonight. I have a great tortilla recipe I would like to share. I have been making these since I was 10 years old. Here goes:
Flour Tortillas
2 c. flour
1/4 c. lard or shortening
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. very warm water(sometimes a little more)
Mix flour, salt, and lard (or shortening). Using a pastry blender(or fork) cut the lard (or shortening) into the flour and salt. Mix until crumbly. Add water. Mix. Knead 50 times. Let rest for 15 minutes. Roll with rolling pin and cook on a griddle. (I just spray with Pam cooking spray).
These are so good. They stay soft, and they don't break. MMMMMM...can't wait for dinner.
Thanks to all who have entered my give-away so far. Just for giggles, and because I like you all so much, I will be adding 3 more little things along the way to my give-away. Today I added a magnetic, patriotic clip!! Good for the fridge...tomorrow--wait and see!! Remember to enter the give-away at my 50th post- post!!~~just scroll down(I've decided I'm a horrible photographer--this picture is not so good--hopefully you get the idea).
Have a wonderful Wednesday!!
Be Nice to People,
Julie

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is sooo cute, did you make it?

Joanne Kennedy said...

Homemade Tortillas??? YUMMMMMMMMMY! Boy I wish I lived by you. There is nothing better then warm homemade tortillas. I like to eat them with butter on them. Oh man! Those sound so good!

Joanne

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Congratulations on your 50th post! It is so much fun isn't it? Your quilt is adorable - nice work!

hugs, Linda

Elise said...

Home made Tacos on a cold and wet day. Sounds just perfect and so yummy.

Love
Elise

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

Yummy those sound so good!! I have never ventured on making my own I guess I will have to try!!
Oh so now theres more goodies to come for the giveaway how exciting!!! Have a great day my friend!!~Wendy

JenW!~ said...

Oh Yummy Thanks for the recipe i have been looking for homemade tortillas. I wll try then for sure.

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

What a fun recipe, Julie! We'll have to try that one here soon. Love your little giveaway add-ons too.

Have a terrific day, my friend :)

Kindra-At Home With K said...

That is so nice of you to add more giveaways! Be looking out for your in your mailbox soon...

Alecia Merłowicz Morris said...

All right people, these are the BEST!!! I have personally tasted Julie's tacos and I love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. Did I say I love 'em? Wish I was there, but our BBQ Hamburgers and Fries will have to do.

Thanks for posting the recipe Julie :-D

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Okay, I'm going to try these tortillas! Mexican food..my favorite!

Toni said...

This recipe looks very good!!I can`t waite to try it!!Hope you have a blessed weekend!!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I must try that recipe. I just bought some tortillas tonight but the sound of homemade ones with no preservatives and fresh is so much more appealing. I can't wait to try it! Thanks a bunch!

Lea

CathyJean said...

Going to have to try your tortilla recipe. Mine dry out too fast.
Thanks!
Cathy