The hangings say: "All the great achievements in life can be traced to the influence of a teacher". Where I grew up, we had only had a two-room school house. K-4th grade was in one room, and 5th-10th grade was in the other. Kind of like "Little House on the Prairie--but we had electricity and running water!! Consequently, I only had 2 teachers(a husband and wife team) through 10th grade. Both were a great influence for good in my life. They still send me a birthday card every year with a $1.00 in it for a "TREAT". They are in their 90's! For 11th and 12th grade I had to leave home. That was HARD!! Luckily, though, I lived with my aunt and uncle in Idaho. My aunt was a junior high home-ec teacher by profession, and she had a great influence on me--always kind and patient. I consider her my second Mom. I had a English teacher in high school who was outstanding. She had considerable influence on me because as I entered college I was able to test out of all my entry-level English classes, and I was able to tutor students in the writing lab instead. I consider that an achievement!! My major in college was Elementary Education, but my minor was English. I know I chose English because of the wonderful English teacher I had, and the success I felt when studying English and those related classes. I come from a long line of teachers~grandmothers, aunts, and cousins have all chosen that profession. I guess today is "HONOR A TEACHER DAY". Is there a teacher who influenced you for good? Please share. As a Mom, I feel like I teach something everyday--no monetary pay, but pay in so many other ways!! Thanks to all those teachers--paid and unpaid for influencing me so that I could achieve!!~
Be Nice to People~
Julie

8 comments:
Julie,
What sweet thoughtful gifts for your girls' teachers! I know I would love them! That's so nice of you! Iknow they'll love them!
Have a great Thursday!
Tammy
Julie,
It's always so refreshing to stop by and read the blessings you share. This is a lovely post. I have no doubt that the teachers will enjoy the gifts you made!
those are so cute!! I love making things for the teachers at the end of the year!!
What wonderful gifts the girls' teachers will treasure! I loved reading about your schooling history. So wonderful that you had great influences in your life. My favorite teacher of all was Ms. Dutton, my second grade teacher. I will always remember her. She touched my life forever.
You are such a thoughtful lady, Julie. I have a few gifts like that from my teaching days and I treasure them. Like you, I'm still teaching -- but now I'm getting paid in sticky kisses and gummy smiles.
I had three memorable teachers. Mrs. Casella made everything magical in 3rd grade. I adored everything about her. Martha Curran-Robbins made 6th grade English (and everything else)come alive. She was an inspiration and a confidante during those awkward junior high years. But my most lasting mentor relationship was with Ken Ronco, my high school English teacher. I was a student of his for three years and he kept track of me through college, teaching jobs, marriage, and all the ups and downs since. We became very close friends with he and his wife, and he took great pride and interest in my kids and our family. He passed away two years ago and his death really left a void for me. I miss our notes and emails, but I remain grateful for all of the years of friendship.
I still keep in touch with a handful of my former students. It's humbling and gratifying to know that, for them, I was that kind of special teacher. My husband is a teacher as well. It's a tough job, but we've always felt it to be an incredibly important one.
Loved your school story, too...
What a wonderful gift. I would have been over the moon to receive something like that when I was teaching - how sweet of you to do that.
Love the ladder display!
hugs, Linda
Awww...Julie, you have such a big heart. I always have said "Homemade Gifts are the best!" I bet the teachers loved their gifts and were very moved by your kindness. :-)
Hugs,
Kimmie
Those are beautiful Julie!!! Your kids' teachers were probably THRILLED! That was so sweet of you! :)
Post a Comment