Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Perspective

Here are some cliche's--I can't see the forest for the trees. I can't see the donut for the hole. Is the glass half empty or half full? I had an experience with perspecitve today. I was a substitute aide for an 8 year old boy with cerebral palsey. He attends my girl's school. He is a delight, and he aided me more than I did him. For example, he walks wobbly and very slowly with a walker, but he challenged me to a race down the hall. He barely can open both hands, but he showed me how to log-on to the internet. He eats slowly, but he showed me how to enjoy every bite of 3 slices of very juicy oranges. His eyes have a hard time focusing, but taught me how to see EVERYTHING. We played a knocking game on one of the doors. I knocked a distinct pattern and told him to copy. He did his best with his limited ability, and he laughed at our "Secret Knock". You know, he's one of the most happy and carefree children I have been around in a long time. It was a day to help me realize that no matter what we are given in this life, no matter what, we CAN be happy. Yes, my legs walk and run, my hands open and close, my mouth opens---too fast, and my eyes focus just fine. I should be the one who is happy and carefree--It's all in our perspective. He definetly sees the glass half full. I think I better try harder to do that, too.
Be Nice to People,
Julie

6 comments:

Kelli said...

Julie, this was a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing about your special helper today, he sounds very sweet! Thank you for visiting my blog, it's nice to meet you!
~Kelli

Elise said...

Hi Julie

What a remarkable boy who has touched your life and in turn everyone who reads this post.

When teaching, I also came across similar situations. The saddest part was that some students who seemingly had everything going for them, were determined not to be happy. They chose this for themselves. Yet others, who faced adversity, often were some of the most beautiful spirited adolescents I have ever come across, people filled with optimism and always had a smile at the ready.

I agree with you when you say it's all about perspective.

Thank you for the reminder.

Love
Elise.

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Thank you, Julie, for such a beautiful post and for expressing the beauty you saw in this special boy.

My little guy (10) has CP. Often we get so many stares when we are out in public that it breaks my heart. I often think, "If only they could see his beauty." It is so nice to know that someone has!

Blessings,
Lea

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Such a beautiful post Julie. I find my self seeing the glass half empty sometimes. I shouldn't because I am blessed with a beautiful life...So special that you got to meet and work with such a wonderful little boy.

My 4 year old is a peer model at preschool. Him, along with 2 other "normal" kids are peer models to the special needs kids in his class. It has been a wonderful experience for him. He has never said once in this school year why someone was "different". I wish everyone had the mindset of a 4 year old...Our school has a peer model program up to 12th grade and I hope he can be a part of it his whole school "career".

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post. And how wonderful that he taught you so much...there are lots of people where all that would have been lost on them...just shows you see the glass as half full too. Recently I've had to deal with some of the most challenging things and it's definitely challenged me to stay positive despite everything. I'm so glad I DO see things as lemonade instead of lemons most of the time as I can't imagine my world being sour! :o)

Kimmie said...

Oh Julie...this was beautiful. I worked with the mentally handicapped, autistic and individuals with brain injuries for two years for a company called People Inc. It was the most rewarding job I ever had. I felt the same way you did, I would go home feeling they had taught me something instead of the other way around. The beauty of these children/individuals is the fact that they are unspoiled. They appreciate the smallest of things you do for them. The smiles and thank you's were the greatest of all gifts. God Bless Your Beautiful Heart!
Hugs,
Kimmie