I wanted to do something patriotic for Memorial Day. I feel a deep gratitude for my ancestors who paved the way for me to have the lifestyle I have today. I am also so thankful for those who are serving our country--NOW. We are the land of the free because of the brave. I used vinyl lettering for the "WELCOME". It kind of had a hard time sticking because of the old wood. I found the old frame behind the Old Glory flag at a yard sale for $1.00. I hung a set of rusty keys on the doorknob. I made the pillow in front. The stool is from a yard sale, it was white, so I painted it black and distressed it. You can't really tell, but the flag in the ceramic pot is tea-dyed. I found the boxes all at a yard sale last summer. I think they are called shaker boxes. The little chicken is just there because my kitchen is decorated with chickens--here and there. So, what do you think? My husband, after some hesitation, says he likes it. My kids think it is rather random to have an old door in the house, but I love it. I am more country than I thought--HEEHEEHEE!! I wish the old door could talk. I would love it to tell me where it lived, tell me who entered and exited, tell me what went on behind it,=) and tell me how old it really is. Wouldn't that be so amazing?! I hope you've had more open doors today than closed ones.
Be Nice to People,
Julie

13 comments:
LOOKS GREAT Julie! I love the idea of honoring those who fought for our freedom too.
hugs, Linda
It really looks great, Julie! I always love the Americana and the Patriotic look, and to honor those who fought for us is just a great topper!!!! Ya did good, girl!
Be sure to stop over at my blog and sign up for my giveaway!
Cora
Julie,
Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog!
First of all, let me say I love what you did with the door! And you know sometimes kids and husbands just don't "get it". That's okay. We all do and we love it! It looks so cozy and inviting!
I appreciated your words and idea of honoring those serving our country too, as my brother is serving in Iraq right now.
And I did notice your name on someone else's blog...your name intrigued me because it is something I would have thought of and I liked! I think you're right..we must be kindred spirits. I'm glad I found your blog! I'll be visiting often!
Blessings to you!
Tammy
So very cute! I love doors so much!
I had an old wooden screen door up against the house that I found in the trash. It just fell over and broke in half :( I'm so sad but today I just said to myself that I could hit the Habitat For Humanity ReStore and buy a new solid wood door and decorat it and now your photo just made me decide that I HAVE to do it! :)
Hey Julie,
Love the door and what you've done with it! Because I am constantly changing my house around, and repurposing things, I wanted to let you know some things I've seen done for possible future use when you're ready for a change.
1. Wall art, hanging vertically. Plain or with picts or with dried flowers hanging against each recessed panel.
2. As a headboard for a bed. Vertically or horizontally. At the short end or lengthwise for a daybed look.
3. On the wall, or leaned against it, with large iron hooks for coats, purses, backpacks, etc. Hung vertically or horizontally. Great places would be: entry way, by the front door, back porch or laundry room.
4. As a desktop with glass or plexiglass on top. Recesses provide shadow box areas. The base could be short filing cabinets, saw horses, etc.
I love it when the possibilities are endless.... Ooooo, just think of what you could do for the Holidays!!!! Okay, starting to want one of my own!
Love ya!
Now I really want an old door. You are so creative Julie!! I love what you did with it! And so great that you decorated in honor of Memorial day. Are you going to change it season to season?
Thanks for all the nice compliments. You yourself are one talented gal!! Yes, I can make gameboards too if you want one. :) Have a great evening my friend!
What a lovely idea! I have a bunch of old doors in the attic and in the basement, I might have to use them somehow. I just love what you did with it. Great job!
And I really love that you took the time to honor those who gave us our freedom.
Hugs!
Great job julie!! You are very creative!! It looks so country and patriotic, great way to honor all our hereos!! Have a great Tuesday!!~Wendy
Hi Julie! I just read your comment this afternoon, (I missed it, somehow) on my door, and had to come see what you did with yours. I LOVE it! I really like the out-of-the-ordinary decorating. I got plenty of looks when I was describing what I wanted, but I'm very blessed with a hubby that will do it anyway, and then usually ends up liking it, too. I wanted to use mine inside as you have, but could not think of a place safe enough. It's VERY heavy, and I could just see it toppling over on someone. ;0) And too, mine has lead paint that is peeling, so, I played it safe.
I've enjoyed visiting your lovely blog.
Blessings,
Karen
Just poppin' in real quick because I'm supposed to be running out MY door; but I just HAD to come see yours! It looks fantastic! I love Americana!!
Have a great day!
Julie, you have done a fantastic job, it looks great! Very patriotic and such a wonderful tribute to the people who have served your country.
Love
Elise
Wow! You did such a wonderful job -- I love it! What a clever lady...
It's perfect, Julie! Love those handmade touches. And you can change it with the seasons. What a fun idea!
I just loved what you said about wondering what this door has seen and heard. That is my favorite thing about old pieces. When I hold it my hand, I just know it has an amazing story to tell. I find that so fascinating. I'm so glad that you do too!
Blessings,
Lea
Post a Comment