Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Home Sanctuary


Katy from Country Blossom asked how we keep our home a sanctuary. That is my ultimate goal because I always want my family to feel welcome, loved and at peace at home. There's lots of other places that are too scary, and home needs to be a haven. This is a picture of our fireplace and mantle. I love prim colors, quilts and country.





Our walls talk...I have used vinyl letter sayings in our home and have put them directly on the walls. When we are tired of them and want a new saying, they are easily removed with heat from a blow dryer and peeling them away. I haven't changed any of the sayings on my walls. The first saying is in our kitchen/dining, the second is over the stove, the third is in the master bedroom. I never know if my children notice them until one day I heard one of them quote the "Change" quote to her sister--aha moment for me. Good thoughts produce good words.








This is a wall in the master bedroom. I took pieces of wood strips, painted them and nailed them to the wall. Then I hang things from them. I feel like my husband and I are kindred spirits, so I hung that on the wall. We are also great friends, and I can't think of living life without him. I try to tell him often, but probably not often enough--a happy husband makes home a great place to be.

This is part of the wall in the family room. "Family, it's about time-"--literally and figuratively. It's a good reminder for me to prioritize and realize what's most important. The old saying, "Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy ", sure is TRUE!! I also stitched the scripture that is below the clock. I just want my children to be happy, productive people. I'm glad I have a home and hope that it's a sanctuary. "Oh, there's One who smiles on high, when there's love at home......

10 comments:

Devon said...

neat idea to put words on the walls...... where do you get the stickers to do that? especially in a good font??

Marion said...

Nice blog!! I'm kind of new to blogging (within the past couple of months)....and I am really enjoying it!
Pop on over to my blog when you have the opportunity...I'd love to know you were there!
Take care
Marion
Nova Scotia

Becky J. said...

What a cute dress!!! good for you!! i am not so crazy now am i? you have officially crossed over...hehe. oh hey you can find all kinds of swaps at http://swapdex.blogspot.com/ they have some fun ones.

Jenny said...

You have a beautiful home!

My favorite part is "Family is about time"...that's so true and such a great reminder!

I hope you have a blessed day!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

You have a beautiful home! I love all the wonderful sayings!!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I love using inspirational words to encourage and bless my family as well. It really does make a difference! Beautiful!

Blessings,
Lea

Tori Leslie said...

You have such a sweet home, I love your style!

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

Very nice home sanctuary!!! Your right its so important to make a place where our famliese can come home and feel safe and comforted!!

Katy said...

I love it all Julie!!! Thanks sooo much for participating with us! I am sorry my email isn't working for you! I would be happy to help you! Do you already have graphics you want to put on your sight? If so..i can tell you how to put them on! If not..you may want to check out my link on my blog to life in the craft lane with Mandie! She has some great stuff!!! :)

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Love the words on the wall...very neat idea!